Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89525 by radicht
Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 pm
Have been looking for specific answer to this question, but haven't found exactly what I need.

I just moved into a new house and am running wires for cat 6 network and cable throughout the house to a sturctured media center. Since I have an ooma, I also thought I might as well go through the process of running new phone line throughout the house that would come into the structured media center as well. I wanted to hook up oooma to these new lines in the sturctured media center, and was wondering if this would work? Would I just connect it to the telephone panel in the SMC? Also, being a core user, would I really be losing anything this way by having it run through the house lines? I plan on running a different color cat 5e cable for the phone, and wanted to make sure this works before spending the money.

Thanks
#89527 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Having phone jacks in all rooms would nice. Unless you need to have alarm panel get the dialtone first, feeding ooma dialtone into 1 jack should provide ooma dialtone to all the jacks.
#89544 by tommies
Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm
It should work. If you have a 2nd line from the scout, putting the scout next to the hub in the SMC would greatly improve the quality of the scout line.

However, I think you need to look at how it is feasible to install a fios/uverse/cable modem in the SMC in the future when you need to fire the current provider and choose a different one. Don't let your perfect SMC to lock you to just one provider because it will be difficult to install a new modem in there.
#89956 by radicht
Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:49 am
Tommie's-

Just looking for clarification - you are saying switching Internet providers would be difficult by running connection to smc? If I left a conduit to allow expansion later, couldn't I have new ISP just run a line down the tube? I don't have many choices on ISPs where I live, probably won't change any time soon. Don't own a scout, just the old style hub.
#89965 by tommies
Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:25 pm
radicht wrote:If I left a conduit to allow expansion later, couldn't I have new ISP just run a line down the tube?

Yes, but since it's inside your house, you have to do it yourself or pay someone to do it.
#90619 by twoehr
Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 pm
I run my Ooma through my SMC (Leviton). I've had it setup that way since I installed it 3 years ago. It allows me to place Ooma dial-tone and DSL (for Scout) anywhere I want. But I do have all the hardware (cable modem, Ooma, and router) in my office, and run the necessary lines between. I did this originally to follow the recommended path of Cable Modem-->Ooma-->router.

In the SMC I have a POTS line on 1, Ooma dial-tone on 3, and Ooma DSL on 4. I used to have another POTS line on 2.

Now that QoS is standard in routers, Ooma (the company) seems comfortable with having Ooma plugged into the router. I wouldn't mind moving it around, but since the router is my wireless access point, I don't plan on moving it to the basement anytime soon. I may re-do to reduce wiring, but probably will keep the Ooma and router in the office.

I'd suggest you only use one type of cable for TP. Don't look at them as phone lines and network lines, but just data lines. Keep yourself modular. Otherwise, why buy cat 5e for just phone? (I'd use all 5e.)

Tim
#90649 by Cyberchat
Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 pm
Have been looking for specific answer to this question, but haven't found exactly what I need.

It looks like you have several good answers already in this thread but I'll throw in a few thoughts.

I had a pair of Leviton Structured Media Center (SMC) panels installed in our new house which was built about three years ago. It took a pair of SMC panels to terminate all of our end-point connections. We used cat 5e for all data signalling at that time but if you plan on very high-speed (beyond gigabit) signal movement then cat 6 could make sense. Whatever you pick, you should consider being consistent and use the same wiring throughout your home to all of your data jacks. This will allow you to utilize any data jack for any data purpose (WAN, shared-LAN, DMZ-LAN, DSL-LAN, Cable-LAN, phone lines 1&2, 3&4, security dial-out, ...). You utilize the SMC patch panels to route your signals to any end point as needed.

For example, if today you want to locate your router on the 2nd-floor to get the best wireless signal dispersion, you can run your WAN service to the gigabit router and then run your LAN service back to a gigibit switch(es) located at the SMC and then patch it into as many other end-points as you desire. A similar scenario applies to the OOMA Telo box where you might want the Telo box on your desk in the 1st-floor Den but you want to hook up the OOMA as Modem/OOMA/Router for example (you need at least three data ports in your den to do this, i.e., WAN, LAN, phone-distribution). You just need to plan on as many data ports at an end point as you will need to cover all of the desired data functions at a specific end point (WAN, shared-LAN, DMZ-LAN, DSL-WAN/LAN, Cable-WAN/LAN, phone lines 1&2, 3&4, ...). What I've described might sound like extreme overkill, but if you're running a small business from your home or perhaps have family members returning to the nest to be co-resident then using the SMC patch panels can make it much easier to segment your data signalling in many different perhaps unanticipated ways.

We have a bunch of other signalling (analog/digital video, remote control sensors/emmiters, sound/speakers/volume controls, ...) routed through our SMC's but you probably can get the answers to your questions from the above info.