Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89361 by rachellinarose
Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:04 am
Purchased Ooma Telo several weeks ago. Ported my number from Comcast. Works like a charm....when I use Comcast's VoIP modem... I don't want to rent their modem anymore, so I'm trying to use a Motorola modem (SB5120) that I have. Called Comcast to get it all set up in their system, but, while it SHOULD work, it does not...for the phone OR the internet. They said that the modem I want to use is not compatible with their phone service and that once my number is fully ported, internet service should be fine through the new modem. My question is this: In order to use Ooma's service, do I need a VoIP-capable modem (i.e., do I need to ditch the Motorola) (stinkin keyboard...question mark is stuck...)
#89363 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm
rachellinarose wrote:Purchased Ooma Telo several weeks ago. Ported my number from Comcast. Works like a charm....when I use Comcast's VoIP modem... I don't want to rent their modem anymore, so I'm trying to use a Motorola modem (SB5120) that I have. Called Comcast to get it all set up in their system, but, while it SHOULD work, it does not...for the phone OR the internet. They said that the modem I want to use is not compatible with their phone service and that once my number is fully ported, internet service should be fine through the new modem. My question is this: In order to use Ooma's service, do I need a VoIP-capable modem (i.e., do I need to ditch the Motorola) (stinkin keyboard...question mark is stuck...)

The Motorola SB5120 Modem, which is an older design Modem, seems to have a lot problems, not only with Ooma, but with the home's LAN system as a whole. But there are people other there that are successfully using this model Modem with the Ooma devices.

But if it was me, and I already owned the SB5120, I'd connect this Modem and try it. After all it's costing little or nothing to try it out. But I would keep in the back on my mind that the Ooma Telo works fine using Comcast's Modem. So if later I find that I was having problems with my Ooma Telo, I'd just purchase a new, later design compatible Modem and toss the SB5120.