Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89226 by alternety
Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:28 pm
I have had Ooma for a couple of years but I remain an unhappy user. The problem is the delay which makes conversations behave like they are using satellite links to the other side of the Earth.

My first tests seemed to be free of the delay; but I really am not sure. I think if it worked the same as it had since the initial testing I would not have purchased it.

I started with modem - Ooma - router as suggested. Destroyed my performance for LAN-WAN. I have changed this to modem - router - Ooma. LAN-WAN is fine, but Ooma rather sucks. Wife is highly annoyed that I have once again been able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I am going to try to get this resolved. Looking at the many many posts about delay, I surmise that talking to Ooma is pretty useless.

I want to start out by installing a new router. I want IPv6, gigabit ports, and some other things. And I want the hub to work properly/as expected.

What are the preferred routers and firmware, if any, when using a hub? Whatever router I get will almost certainly be wireless. Basically no one makes new routers that are wired only. I don't need wireless; but that's life.

After I have upgraded the router I will start again on trying to get rid of the delay.

Info on delay elimination would also be appreciated. There are so many posts leading to - nup, that didn't work.
#89229 by thunderbird
Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:04 pm
alternety:
First some questions to aid in suggestion for which router to purchase:
What kind of Internet service do you use? Cable, DSL, etc.?
What is the brand name and model number of your Modem?
What is the brand name and model number of the Router that you now use?

Information about delay:
There is delay, and half-duplex conversations.
Delay is normally an individual problem and has to be corrected by Ooma.
Half-duplex problems can often be corrected at home.
Half-duplex problems often originate in the home's Internet equipment. Half-duplex conversations sound like delay, but isn't. Usually half-duplex conversations are caused by the Modem operating at half-duplex speeds. The modem could be defective or anther device on your LAN could force the Modem to operate at half-duplex speeds.

The way to test is to temporarily connect only the Modem, Ooma and a Phone (temporarily leave the Router and other LAN equipment disconnected). Reboot the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, reboot the Ooma Hub and then test by making and receiving phone calls, to include legacy carrier numbers, and cell phones numbers.
This part of the test doesn't rule out the Modem as the problem, but it does rule out everything else. If your phone conversations are normal, then you know that some piece of equipment in your home's LAN is causing the Half-Duplex Conversation.

If you still have Delay/Half-Duplex Conversations, to eliminate your Modem, take only your Ooma Hub to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their LAN setup, and their phone. Hopefully they will have a newer Modem. If your Ooma device works without delay or half-duplex conversations at the friend or relative's home, then probably your Modem is defective.
#89233 by alternety
Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:06 pm
My modem is a Motorola SB6120 on Comcast. I am reasonably certain this is not half duplex. Speeds are adequate for full quality voice. The router is a Buffalo Air Station.

Thanks for your response, but let me reiterate to avoid going off in another direction. I WILL replace the router. The first order of business is to pick a router. Then, with that new configuration, I will address the delay.
#89234 by thunderbird
Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 pm
alternety wrote:My modem is a Motorola SB6120 on Comcast. I am reasonably certain this is not half duplex. Speeds are adequate for full quality voice. The router is a Buffalo Air Station.

Thanks for your response, but let me reiterate to avoid going off in another direction. I WILL replace the router. The first order of business is to pick a router. Then, with that new configuration, I will address the delay.

I would suspect that after a few people read your post, they will add their router information also.

What I do is after I see a product that I am interested in, I go to Amazon and plug-in that brand and model number, then go down and read the reviews.

After clicking on the link to Amazon below for Netgear, go down the page about half way to see a table of all of the current Netgear routers.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless- ... 565&sr=8-4

The link below shows current Linksys routers. I gave one of these to one of my sisters. She had problems at first, until I had her upgrade the firmware to the current version. Since she has had no problems.
http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/li ... re-Routers

Some people like the Asus routers, but they seem to be a little incompatible with the Ooma products.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=18&y=14

The Apple routers seem to work very well with Ooma, but Apple doesn't have Quality of Service settings for VoIP settings for VoIP devices. I just clicked on one product. There are more with other prices.
http://www.amazon.com/Airport-Extreme-8 ... 205&sr=1-1

I use a Cradlepoint MBR1200, which might be a little more than what you want.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/bra ... -broadband
#89250 by adrman
Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:56 pm
I'm using an Asus RTN16 reflashed with DD-WRT firmware. It has the gigabit ports and ipv6 capability you're looking for. I'm setup Modem-Router-Telo with the Telo placed in the router's dmz. I have DD-WRT's QOS function disabled. Time Warner Cable is my IP and so far Ooma works great. As an alternate solution, if you don't need n wireless, you could save a few bucks by purchasing a Asus WL520gu and a separate gigabit switch to plug into it. The 520 can also be re-flashed to dd-wrt. FWIW, this is my first post here, but I'm a longtime voip user. Ooma is the fourth company I've used over a period of about 8 years.