Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88254 by oomaMI
Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 pm
I purchased a new Ooma device a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to make it work yet! Here is my problem:

I have a Motorola cable modem. It's just a modem, not a router. So I have been using an Apple Airport wireless router for years with no trouble. This doesn't leave many options for setting up the Ooma though, so I bought the wireless dongle. I have plugged the Ooma directly into the modem (ethernet cord from modem to the To Internet port on back of Ooma) and it goes through the motions of setup, but I have no dial tone.

I also can't set up the wireless dongle. I turn off the wireless connection on my laptop, connect the ethernet cable from laptop to Ooma, and try to access the setup at 172.27.35.1. Ooma refuses the connection.

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm pretty much ready to return everything and give up. Can anyone help me get this thing set up?
#88255 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 pm
If you are plugging in Ooma directly to the modem, you need to power cycle both devices. Power off both modem (remove battery backup if you have them in the modem) and Ooma. Then power up modem, wait until online, then power up Ooma. Wait til Ooma turns blue. This should work. If not, force DHCP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9898&start=10#p85213

Since you have the Ooma Telo Air dongle, perhaps, you can go directly to the wireless setup: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12533&start=10#p88176