Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88516 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm
joe123 wrote:
murphy wrote:With Ooma behind the router, and nothing connected to the Home port, QOS in the Ooma has no meaning. There is no data flow through the Ooma that needs to be controlled. Set both values to zero to turn off the QOS code in the Ooma and forget about it.

Ah! That is correct, thank you for clarifying that.

joe123 wrote:The QoS on Ooma is for data traffic going from the Interner Port to the Home Port. With Modem-Router-Ooma, the Ooma Home Port is not used (no ethernet cable) and thus QoS is a moot point.
Thanks for clarifying that, that was my wrong understanding.

It is a moot point unless there are problems which result with the Router's LAN being clamped down to very slow speeds, which some of us have experienced when using the Modem-Router-Ooma configuration. Than the Ooma Setup QoS settings of Zero, doesn't work. Some other settings have to be entered.
It's like a water system that has its valves shut off (to Home Port Network). With changes in the water pressure, and other valves being turn on and off, sometimes chatter and noise can be heard, and the pipes vibrate uncontrollably. But if you open the valves slightly or add an air over water accumulator of some kind to the pressure side of the water pipes, the chatter and noise goes away and the water system operates normally.
I'm not saying that the first chose shouldn't be Ooma's Suggestion to set QoS settings to Zero for the Modem-Router-Ooma connection> I'm just saying if there are problems, like very slow Router LAN speeds, that other things can be done that will help resolve the probems.
#88519 by joe123
Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:18 pm
thunderbird wrote:It is a moot point unless there are problems which result with the Router's LAN being clamped down to very slow speeds, which some of us have experienced when using the Modem-Router-Ooma configuration. Than the Ooma Setup QoS settings of Zero, doesn't work. Some other settings have to be entered.

Got it. The Modem-Router-Ooma configuration requires that a non ZERO number be entered for both the UP/Down QoS streams eventhough QoS is not being used. It works better for some strange reason - Got that.

Now, why in heavens name would you go through the trouble of finding your home bandwidth only to put a 90% number in the field that is not being used? I understand putting a number because as others have found out and for some strange reason, that works. I got that, but my not just enter 99999 and 99999 instead of finding your bandwidth, multiplying that by .9 to get 90% and then entering those numbers?
#88522 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:56 pm
joe123:
Only because it seems to work right now.

Also veiw browwi topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11626&start=120

First I have to say that most people using the Ooma devices don't have any problems. They just plug in the Ooma device and forget it, except to make and receive phone calls.

It seems like after every Ooma firmware update, another crop of problems come up with the firmware update for just a few people. For those people, certain adjustments that were made previously, must be tested and adjusted again to conform to the current firmware.

Since, there are many "builds" of the Ooma devices, and we don't have access to Ooma's drawings, technical manuals, wiring diagrams, etc. often we have to fall back on our previous training, experience and intuition. Suggestions that will help others with a problem often come from the trial and error testing accomplished by the Ooma forum members. The 90% settings worked for some time for the Modem-Ooma-Router connection, for some people. But after a report by one Ooma Forum member with a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, 90% QoS also worked for him, I tried it and it worked for me. I had previously set my QoS setting to a value higher than the measured Upload and Download speeds of my Internet connection, as suggested by an software and electronics design engineer that I worked with for a few years.

In a previous Ooma Telo firmware version update, Ooma did try to correct the Quality of Service Zero setting problems "Bug". But for a few Ooma users, it hasn't happened yet. ;)