Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88197 by sewcool
Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 pm
I'm new to Ooma and this message board. I just installed Ooma today and now I can not print wirelessly. Ooma works fine. I have an Airport Extreme and Airport Express. Both have green lights and I've restarted each. When I try and print, the printer queue just states that it's "starting" but nothing ever happens. It was printing just fine before I installed Ooma. All the equipment is in the same room, within 10 feet from each other. I need to be able to print! Help! Does anyone have this problem?
#88198 by lbmofo
Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:46 pm
You could plug your Ooma into your router instead of the modem. Don't plug anything into the "home" port of the Ooma device.
#88200 by sewcool
Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 am
I appreciate the response but I don't understand it. If I unplug the wire to the modem, what do I do with that cable? I had followed the directions that came with the Ooma - option 2A. If I unplug the modem, my internet won't work. Thank you for any additional help you can give me.
#88203 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:40 am
sewcool wrote:I appreciate the response but I don't understand it. If I unplug the wire to the modem, what do I do with that cable? I had followed the directions that came with the Ooma - option 2A. If I unplug the modem, my internet won't work. Thank you for any additional help you can give me.

Reconnect you home LAN as it was connected before you installed the Ooma Telo, leaving the Ooma Telo disconnected. Test and make sure the Wireless printer works. Then Connect the Ooma Telo Internet port to one of the Router ports. Connect nothing to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to temporarily connect a computer to access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window, if Ooma Telo Quality of Service adjustments are required. If you don't have enough Router LAN ports, you could purchase and add a Switch. A Switch is a Router port multiplier. I have two eight port Switches installed in my home's LAN system. Remove power from the Modem, Router, & Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, Repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#88267 by sewcool
Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm
Here's an update. I disconnected the Ooma and got my printing to work. But then something happened to my internet and it took HOURS to resolve the issue. I tried doing it on my own and couldn't get it to work. Called my internet provider and they couldn't get it to work. Finally I decided to call Apple and they helped me out big time.

I'm tired and frustrated today with Ooma. I will think about trying it again tomorrow. I really hope I can get it all to work. I really don't want another day like today. I must have restarted my router/computer/modem more than a dozen times.
#88268 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 pm
sewcool wrote:Here's an update. I disconnected the Ooma and got my printing to work. But then something happened to my internet and it took HOURS to resolve the issue. I tried doing it on my own and couldn't get it to work. Called my internet provider and they couldn't get it to work. Finally I decided to call Apple and they helped me out big time.

I'm tired and frustrated today with Ooma. I will think about trying it again tomorrow. I really hope I can get it all to work. I really don't want another day like today. I must have restarted my router/computer/modem more than a dozen times.

You will get it going! You are three forths of the way there. Now all you have to do is connect the Ooma device; Router LAN port to Ooma Telo Internet port, reboot everything again and you should be up and running. :)
#88281 by sewcool
Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:05 am
My heart was racing and I was holding my breathe when I connected everything. It looks like everything is working (and I did not have to reboot anything). And good thing too because I just got an email stating that my phone number porting is going to go through tomorrow! I thought I had 3 weeks to mess with this before that happened. I better start making phone calls to make sure this works :)

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement.
#88282 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 am
sewcool wrote:My heart was racing and I was holding my breathe when I connected everything. It looks like everything is working (and I did not have to reboot anything). And good thing too because I just got an email stating that my phone number porting is going to go through tomorrow! I thought I had 3 weeks to mess with this before that happened. I better start making phone calls to make sure this works :)

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement.

You may have to do the following if you have some Quality of Service problems. But if you don't have problems, don't do anything.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .9 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Good Luck! :)
#88283 by sewcool
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 am
Right now there isn't any quality problem when I made a phone call so I don't really want to mess with anything...yet.

My next step is to figure out how to distribute my Ooma dialtone to my other two phones. I see that I can find info on this on the Ooma site. If I have problems with this, you can be sure to hear from me:)