Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88077 by roundlake
Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:05 am
Basic question. Some of us are still at the Basics stage.

I own my house but the utility company paddle locked the box. I prefer to not saw it off.
Some of us do not want to go in the outside box. disconnect wires etc.

Can I just plug in a regular old nonpowered phone and if I do not tone static etc (nice and quiet) can I try to connect my wireless phones?
If I heard something strange on the line I would not plug my newer phone system in. Or is there some power detector that I can buy to check for "power still being on" even though the phone company was supposed to shut it and me off.
#88089 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:04 pm
roundlake wrote:Basic question. Some of us are still at the Basics stage.

I own my house but the utility company paddle locked the box. I prefer to not saw it off.
Some of us do not want to go in the outside box. disconnect wires etc.

Can I just plug in a regular old nonpowered phone and if I do not tone static etc (nice and quiet) can I try to connect my wireless phones?
If I heard something strange on the line I would not plug my newer phone system in. Or is there some power detector that I can buy to check for "power still being on" even though the phone company was supposed to shut it and me off.

Do you have DSL Internet Service? If so the street to the house disconnect process is different.

Maybe you could take a picture of you phone Utility box and post it here. My old ATT box has a lock also, but on one half of the front of the box there is a screw that allows you to open half of the box. Inside mine has two plugs, which I disconnected.

You have to make sure that the phone lines in the house, that you will connect to your Ooma device, don't have any signal traveling on them, so that you won't damage the Ooma device.

There are some other people, that that surf this forum, that are more qualified to tell you exactly how to disable any the old phone service coming in from the street to your home.

In the meantime you could just connect a phone or your wireless phone to the Ooma device Phone port, so that you can use the Ooma phone service.