Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88059 by angrysquirrel
Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am
Hello folks,

I have an ooma core and scout. I was originally running the core and scout on a cable modem but then decided to go with DSL because it was cheaper. Turned out that the DSL was too slow for me so I went back to cable.

After fairpoint shut off the dsl my scout no longer works. I called fairpoint and they said it's my problem, not theirs. It would be $260 for them to send a tech out to troubleshoot.

So here's my setup:

Wall plug on core connected to phone plug jack in bedroom.

scout in living room. Wall jack on scout connected to wall jack In living room.

I did a direct connect with the from the core to the scout with just the telephone wires to make sure the devices are working and the phone wires are okay. Not a problem. Scout turns blue.

My multimeter has arrived in the mail so I'm ready to test. Only problem is I have no idea how to use it :D

Here's a picture of the multimeter:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does something need to be disconnected from my box outside of the house to eliminate fairpoint from the equation?
I though I had read someplace that I need to disconnect wires from the box to make sure I don't have problems.
If you folks need to look at my box I can go outside and take a picture of the inside. I tried poking around to see if I can disconnect a cable but it looks like I can't pull anything out without a risk of damaging something.

Is there a way I can check the voltage in the living room to see if there's a connection between the living room and the bedroom?

What if I took a 9 volt battery and taped two wires from my bedroom phone jack and then then checked with a multimeter on the living room phone jack?

If fairpoint is hosing the connection with a filter or the wires still hooked up, is there some way I can check with the multimeter?

Sorry folks for my incredible ignorance on this subject.

All I know is that the hardware seems okay and the phone wires are okay. The problem seems to lie somewhere between the jacks and it was working before fairpoint hooked up the DSL.
#88060 by murphy
Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm
You MUST disconnect the connection to Fairpoint.
Look for a standard phone plug plugged into a phone jack inside of the box.
Unplug it and you are done.
If you don't have that kind of box, take a picture and post it.
Someone on here should know what to do.
#88228 by angrysquirrel
Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

I opened the thing up today and this is what I saw. Not sure what I need to disconnect at this point. The 8890657 is my dad's number so unless fairpoint are a bunch of knuckleheads I don't think I need to touch that. My dad is using comcast digital voice and I think the cable box for that is in the basement. I have more pictures of different things on the outside near this box. One thing is a "Neptune R900" box. I think that's part of the comcast digital voice. Anyway, if you need more pictures zoomed out so you can get the big picture of this spaghetti mess let me know.

Other thing. I got my multimeter over the weekend. One idea I was thinking. Maybe I should remove the jack boxes in the living room and the bedroom. Then take the exposed wires in the bedroom and hook a 9 volt to it. Then go to the living room and hook my multimeter to those wires and see if I get 9 volts to that location? Thinking maybe that way I can at least see if there is a connection between the two.
#88233 by murphy
Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 pm
I'm not familiar with that type of box.
I've read on here about a box where you swing something out of the way.
Hopefully one of the people that knows that box will chime in.

Be careful. If the phone company is still connected there will be 48 volts on the wires. The dial tone will be gone but the voltage is usually still there. Use the voltmeter to check the wires for voltage first.