Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87794 by meazz1
Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:09 am
I have a modem-router-ooma setup and it's been working fine. I have assigned static IP in the router for the ooma device and forwarded port 80, it's also setting in DMZ.

Now, what I am trying to do but failing: connect ooma LAN port to TV for streaming video. It works for a day but internet connection for the tv stops to work. The phone and laptops work without any problem.
Do I need to make any changes in the ooma device settings?
#87795 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 am
meazz1 wrote:I have a modem-router-ooma setup and it's been working fine. I have assigned static IP in the router for the ooma device and forwarded port 80, it's also setting in DMZ.

Now, what I am trying to do but failing: connect ooma LAN port to TV for streaming video. It works for a day but internet connection for the tv stops to work. The phone and laptops work without any problem.
Do I need to make any changes in the ooma device settings?

It appears that you are using a Modem-Router-Ooma connection. Normally for that connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma device's Home port.

Try connecting your TV to one of your Router LAN ports and test.
#87797 by meazz1
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:56 am
I am trying to add a switch to the mix. I ran out of port in the router.
So, in the modem-router-ooma configuration, the lan port on the ooma device is useless?
#87798 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 am
meazz1 wrote:I am trying to add a switch to the mix. I ran out of port in the router.
So, in the modem-router-ooma configuration, the lan port on the ooma device is useless?

The way to go is to add a Switch connected to one of the Router LAN ports. I have two eight port swithces connected to my Router Lan ports, one near the Router, and one Downstairs. You can connect something to the Home port of the Ooma device, but file sharing, network printing, etc. won't work for the computer connected to the Home port, and between the other deives connected to your Router's LAN. Sometimes I connect one computer, that has it's own printer connected to the computer, connected to the Ooma device Home port, just to get a feel of how the Internet signal is coming out of the Ooma device.
#87801 by meazz1
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:01 pm
My issue is, the router is upstairs. The modem, ooma and TV is downstairs. Only one cat 5 cable from the modem is going upstairs to the router. In order for a switch, I have to run a second cat5 to downstairs so that I can connect it to the tv.
#87804 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 pm
meazz1 wrote:My issue is, the router is upstairs. The modem, ooma and TV is downstairs. Only one cat 5 cable from the modem is going upstairs to the router. In order for a switch, I have to run a second cat5 to downstairs so that I can connect it to the tv.

One way you could do it:
If you don't want to run another Cat 5 cable, move the Router downstairs. Connect the Modem to the router located downstairs. Connect the downstairs end Cat 5 cable going to the upstairs, to one of the Router LAN ports. Locate the switch upstairs. Connect the other end of the Cat 5 cable going upstairs, to the Switch. Connect the rest of the Upstairs LAN devices to the Switch. Connect the Ooma and TV to the Router's other LAN ports.
#87806 by highq
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 pm
I see there's such a thing as a pair-splitter for Cat 5. Cat 5 normally uses four of the eight existing wires, the splitters make use of the other four. Who has any pratical experience with this? Interference? Length limitations?