Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87778 by Lord Vader
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:16 am
Upon reading the section here that explains how to set up a dedicated fax line--I used to have 2 numbers when with Vonage--I believe my interpretation of the explanation is correct--that the phone port is my dedicated fax line, and if I want to use my current main # as my voice line, then my entire 4-handset, Panasonic, DECT cordless phone system is useless. Is this correct?

If so, then IMHO, this sucks. I needed a new phone system anyway, so when I decided to go with Ooma in early September, I upgraded my phones as well. I picked up an awesome setup, a Panasonic cordless system that was DECT 6.0 and had the Bluetooth link to cell feature, which I've come to love (precludes my having to buy the overly priced Ooma bluetooth adapter). I bought an Ooma Telo handset anyway, but I surely don't want to spend a chunk of money buying two or three more just to be able to have a setup where my fax # is dedicated.

It would appear that the only way around this is to buy a separate Ooma Telo unit and have that with its own dedicated fax line, but even that would cost $200! The coolest thing about my Vonage adapter was that it had 2 phone ports on it, allowing me to use one for my main # and the other as a dedicated fax line. Of all the things about Ooma, if you ask me, their inability to offer a dedicated fax line in a straight-up manner is perhaps the most irritating.
#87779 by murphy
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 am
You can use the phone jack for your voice line and for your fax machine.
If you have Premier service you can have two phone numbers. By default they are both in the shared pool. A call on either phone number will ring through the Phone jack. Most fax machines can detect a unique ring pattern. Set the ring pattern for the fax number to one that the fax machine recognizes. The fax machine will only answer calls to the fax number. The unique ring will alert you to not answer those calls. The only downside is that you can't be on a voice call and receive a fax at the same time. To do that you would have to answer or make a voice call using a Telo handset which would leave the phone port available for an incoming fax.

Two Telos is also a solution. The $200 is a one time cost. After two years it has cost you the equivalent of $16.67 per month for the extra hardware. That is how much I pay for a Verizon basic phone line which has no regional or long distance capability and includes three free local calls before each call costs extra. That line is for my alarm system. There is no way that I would place alarm system calls over the internet.
#87796 by Lord Vader
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:27 am
murphy wrote:You can use the phone jack for your voice line and for your fax machine.
If you have Premier service you can have two phone numbers. By default they are both in the shared pool. A call on either phone number will ring through the Phone jack. Most fax machines can detect a unique ring pattern. Set the ring pattern for the fax number to one that the fax machine recognizes. The fax machine will only answer calls to the fax number. The unique ring will alert you to not answer those calls. The only downside is that you can't be on a voice call and receive a fax at the same time. To do that you would have to answer or make a voice call using a Telo handset which would leave the phone port available for an incoming fax.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Canon all-in-one device that serves as my fax machine (and is used only for faxing due to its location) is capable of what you're describing.
#87799 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:54 am
Lord Vader wrote:
murphy wrote:You can use the phone jack for your voice line and for your fax machine.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Canon all-in-one device that serves as my fax machine (and is used only for faxing due to its location) is capable of what you're describing.

One way to keep Fax Traffic on Line 2:
If the prefix **1 is used before the dialled Fax number, then line two is used and the line 2 phone number shows on the outbound Fax. But the Ooma Telo still shows Line 1 lit.
For inbound Faxes, if only the line 2 number is published for faxing, the Fax will only come to the line 2 phone number. The line 2 phone number must have a Unique ring set in My Ooma so that someone doesn't interrupt the inbound Fax.