Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87696 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:22 pm
That's an interesting idea. I would have to route the wan port interface on my router to do this, but it's an option.

I was thinking something like this for an ACL:

ip access-list extended Deny_DHCP
deny udp any any eq bootpc
deny udp any any eq bootps
permit ip any any

interface Fa0/23
ip access-group Deny_DHCP in

So I guess there are at least three ways to solve this problem, probably more.
#87700 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 pm
FX4 wrote:Yeah I understand all this. My goal was to be able to manage Ooma and check it's status without having to plug a laptop into it's lan port. Just put it on my network. I guess it can't be done unless I create a private Vlan for the lan port then route to it.

The usual way to access Ooma Seup for a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, with out connecting a computer to the Ooma device's Home port every time access is requred, is to reserve a static IP address with a permenant lease, for the Ooma device in the Router.
Next port forward 172.27.35.1:80 in Ooma Setup at bottom of Advanced page. Then from any computer connected to the LAN side of the Router, type http:// and the IP assigned to the Ooma device, and the Ooma Setup pages opens.
#87707 by FX4
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 am
I understand this, but it assumes you have a flat topology on the lan side. In my case I do not. I have a voice vlan that is isolated from the data vlan. The only thing that traverses my voice vlan is voice. What I want is the lan side of the Ooma Telo connected to my data vlan for management of the box.

WAN<-----| Router|-----(Vlan 10, 192.168.2.x)----|Ooma Telo|---Lan Port
xxxxxxxx| Cisco |-----(Vlan 5, 192.168.1.x)----|Lan, Cisco 2900XL|------
xxxxxxxx| 881W |-----(Vlan 1, 10.10.x.x)----NOT USED

The objective at this point is to just connect the Lan Port of the Ooma to the 192.168.1,x subnet, probably on a spare router port because the 2900XL has extremely limited ACL functionality. There is no intra-vlan routing in my configuration.
#87774 by FX4
Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 pm
Just an FYI for anybody trying to do what I did, my ACL ended up being assigned to the vlan and I used the lan ip address of the Ooma Telo:

ip access-list extended Deny_DHCP
deny udp 192.168.1.7 0.0.0.255 any eq bootpc
deny udp 192.168.1.7 0.0.0.255 any eq bootps
permit ip any any

interface vlan5
ip access-group Deny_DHCP in

It works quite well, or at least it seems to work well. I haven't put wireshark on it yet but I did dump a couple of DHCP clients on the network and the proper DHCP server answered and Ooma did not.