Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87680 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:24 pm
Is there a way to shut off the DHCP server on the Ooma-telo? I want the telo to be accessible on the lan side of my network and I do not want it serving IP Addresses. When I attempt to configure it with no DHCP pool it rejects the configuration.

Basically I have two Vlans set up with the WAN port connected to the 192.168.2.x subnet (Vlan 10) and I want the LAN port connected to 192.168.1.x (Vlan 5). Vlan 10 is non-routed vlan, it just uses PAT to go to the outside world for voice only. Vlan 5 is my data network and is routed. I currently also use it for device management.

TIA.
#87682 by murphy
Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:36 pm
FX4 wrote:Is there a way to shut off the DHCP server on the Ooma-telo? I want the telo to be accessible on the lan side of my network and I do not want it serving IP Addresses. When I attempt to configure it with no DHCP pool it rejects the configuration.

Basically I have two Vlans set up with the WAN port connected to the 192.168.2.x subnet (Vlan 10) and I want the LAN port connected to 192.168.1.x (Vlan 5). Vlan 10 is non-routed vlan, it just uses PAT to go to the outside world for voice only. Vlan 5 is my data network and is routed. I currently also use it for device management.

TIA.

It can't be shut off.
Put the Telo after your router and don't connect anything to it's home port and it won' matter.
#87685 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:06 pm
No can do, Ooma has to be behind the router. I'm running VPNs, VNC, and DynDNS, as well as a bunch of other QoS traffic parameters for other things.
#87686 by murphy
Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:12 pm
FX4 wrote:No can do, Ooma has to be behind the router. I'm running VPNs, VNC, and DynDNS, as well as a bunch of other QoS traffic parameters for other things.

I'm confused . After the router and behind the router are the same thing.
#87688 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm
FX4 wrote:No behind the router is the lan side, after the router is the wan side.

Connect the Ooma device's Internet port to one of the Router LAN ports. Connect nothing to the Ooma device's Home port, except temporarily a computer when accessing Ooma Setup to make adjustments.

Using the Router as a reference, the WAN Internet signal coming from the Modem is connected to the WAN side of the Router, which is said to be before the router. Usually this is the yellow modem port to the yellow router port. The LAN side of the router is said to be behind or after the router.
#87693 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm
Yeah I understand all this. My goal was to be able to manage Ooma and check it's status without having to plug a laptop into it's lan port. Just put it on my network. I guess it can't be done unless I create a private Vlan for the lan port then route to it.
#87694 by FX4
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm
I just thought of a better way to do it. Put an ACL on the switch port blocking DHCP requests inbound.
#87695 by murphy
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm
FX4 wrote:Yeah I understand all this. My goal was to be able to manage Ooma and check it's status without having to plug a laptop into it's lan port. Just put it on my network. I guess it can't be done unless I create a private Vlan for the lan port then route to it.

Forward port 80 in the Telo to 172.27.35.1.
You can then connect to the Telo setup pages by connecting to the IP address that was assigned to the Telo's WAN interface.