Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87548 by AzJazz
Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:21 am
This is really weird! Can someone please explain why this is occurring?

I have my Ooma Telo installed in the "recommended by Ooma" configuration: Cable Modem ==> Ooma Telo ==> Local Network Wireless Router ==> My LAN.

I can get to just about any website just fine in this configuration ... but ... There are some websites that I CAN'T get to!

Most notably, I can't get to our business website reliably. I know that it isn't a PC issue, and it isn't my ISP (internet service provider). I know it isn't a PC issue, because if I use my cellphone as a WiFi hotspot, I can get to the website fine. I also know that it isn't my ISP, because if I remove the Ooma Telo from the network, and just connect my wireless router to the cable modem, I can get to the website fine. If I reconnect the Ooma Telo back in the above configuration, I can't get to the website anymore.

So, with the Ooma Telo installed, some websites aren't accessible anymore? Why is this happening? And, how can I get this fixed?

Thanks,

AzJazz
#87555 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:16 am
AzJazz wrote:This is really weird! Can someone please explain why this is occurring?

I have my Ooma Telo installed in the "recommended by Ooma" configuration: Cable Modem ==> Ooma Telo ==> Local Network Wireless Router ==> My LAN.

I can get to just about any website just fine in this configuration ... but ... There are some websites that I CAN'T get to!

Most notably, I can't get to our business website reliably. I know that it isn't a PC issue, and it isn't my ISP (internet service provider). I know it isn't a PC issue, because if I use my cellphone as a WiFi hotspot, I can get to the website fine. I also know that it isn't my ISP, because if I remove the Ooma Telo from the network, and just connect my wireless router to the cable modem, I can get to the website fine. If I reconnect the Ooma Telo back in the above configuration, I can't get to the website anymore.

So, with the Ooma Telo installed, some websites aren't accessible anymore? Why is this happening? And, how can I get this fixed?

Thanks,

AzJazz

Have you tried different web browsers, like Firefox? Have you tried temporarily turning off your Internet/virus protection when trying to access the websites?

If you can't get to the websites with a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, Connect Modem-Router-Ooma.
Using this configuration, normally nothing is connected to the Ooma device's Home port, except tempoarily to connect a computer to access Ooma Setup for adjustments, using http://172.27.35.1

With the Modem-Router-Ooma configuration, normally Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speed Settings are set to Zero.

I have mine connected this way and it functions just fine.
#87557 by AzJazz
Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 am
Thanks, Thunderbird!

The problem isn't related to my browser ... I had already tried different browsers.

Also, I removed the browsers from the equation: I tested the connectivity by "ping"ing. I only saw timeouts from the website when I would ping the website. My DNS serve configuration is OK: The proper IP address was identified during the ping.

I can try and configure my system back to the way you describe. That was my old configuration - but I have been having audio quality problems on my end of the conversation, so I tried the new configuration to see if it would help (it didn't).

Even if I do reconfigure, that will only fix my no-access problem, but it doesn't resolve the real issue (which other people may be experiencing as well, and don't know it). Why does connecting the Ooma Telo block websites?
#87559 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am
AzJazz:
Maybe you could post the addresses of the websites you can't reach and some other Ooma users with a Modem-Ooma-Router configuration could try accessing the websites. I don't have my Ooma setup configured that way, but I'm sure there are other Ooma users that would be happy to try and report back their results.

If you are having the robotic voice issues, dial *99 before the number called for Ooma Telo & Hub. You may have echo using *99. For the Telo, you can try dialing *98, *96 and *82. Example: *82-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

For an Ooma Telo Modem-Ooma-Router connection, you could access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Home Network, and go to configure DHCP Configuration:
Set both Start Address: and End Address: to 172.27.35.160. Next click on Update below. If you loose your computer connection, reboot the computer. Then return to Ooma setup and click on the Advanced tab.
Go down to port forward. Click on add new rule. For Start port add 80. For End port add 81. Type is probably TCP but you could add UDP & TCP for "just in case". Address would be 172.27.35.160. Click on Update below. Reboot your Ooma Telo and test.

Note: If you know your business website ports and port types used, you could port forward those ports and port types for 172.27.35.160 also.
#95987 by danmeek
Fri May 18, 2012 11:18 pm
I have the exact same problem. With Ooma connected in the recommended configuration, suddenly today (after a full year of use) it blocks access to my own websites but not others! I tried many browswer. I even switched out the router. Finally, I disconnected the Ooma, and suddenly my websites are accessible. So I changed the OOma config to modem-router-switch-Ooma. Seems to work fine. So why does Ooma recommend a configuration with this problem?
#95992 by thunderbird
Sat May 19, 2012 4:48 am
danmeek wrote:But the recommended setup is modem-ooma-router-computer. That is what does not work for me.

Go to https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf and view step 2 for the current perfered method of connecting. Then view Alternative Setup Options located lower in the page. Any of these connections are correct and there is no right or wrong. The chose is usually what works best for the user.

I like the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, because if the Ooma device goes off line or fails for some reason, our home's LAN still has a connection to the Internet.
#96051 by danmeek
Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm
So Oooma has changed its instructions. OK. Maybe they should have sent out an email about it. But it still does not make sense that the arrangement modem-ooma-router-computer would suddenly not work for accessing certain websites.