Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87225 by GeordieLaforge
Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:17 pm
Finally got my phone line ported to Ooma. I now have my regular phone number plus a 2nd number. What do I have to do to my Telo to set up the 2nd line for my fax machine so I can send/receive faxes?? I can run a second line to isolate the fax machine though I don't know if there is any way to have the 2nd number "just" ring to the fax??
#87231 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 pm
GeordieLaforge wrote:Finally got my phone line ported to Ooma. I now have my regular phone number plus a 2nd number. What do I have to do to my Telo to set up the 2nd line for my fax machine so I can send/receive faxes?? I can run a second line to isolate the fax machine though I don't know if there is any way to have the 2nd number "just" ring to the fax??

Setup your Fax machine with your line 2 Ooma phone number.

The Fax should work without any changes to Ooma. See topic below:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12241
by Bobby B » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm
“A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change”.

Test using the HP Fax Test number 1-888-473-2963. When you Fax to this number, within five minutes, a Fax will be sent back to you. This number works with any Fax machine.
#87233 by GeordieLaforge
Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 am
Thanks for the information. I assume the * * 1 next to my second phone number means that if I have my fax machine dial that first, before the number I'm faxing to, it will fax from the second number?

The only thing I have to get use to with Ooma is that before, we could dial Memphis, TN (we live outside of Memphis in MS), I just had to dial the area code and number and now I have to dial a "1" first. Can I set up my Ooma to automatically dial a "1" if I am calling anywhere other than my home area code??
#87234 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:31 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:Thanks for the information. I assume the * * 1 next to my second phone number means that if I have my fax machine dial that first, before the number I'm faxing to, it will fax from the second number?

The only thing I have to get use to with Ooma is that before, we could dial Memphis, TN (we live outside of Memphis in MS), I just had to dial the area code and number and now I have to dial a "1" first. Can I set up my Ooma to automatically dial a "1" if I am calling anywhere other than my home area code??

I don't know the answer to your first question. But I think if you have your second number programed in your fax machine, it should call out on that number. You can test it by using the HP fax test number.

If you go here in My Ooma and enable ten digit calling, you should be able to call any combinations of phone numbers. After enabling ten digit calling, there will be an addional pause before dialing, except if you add a hash # mark after the number dialed.
https://my.ooma.com/system
#87237 by murphy
Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:Thanks for the information. I assume the * * 1 next to my second phone number means that if I have my fax machine dial that first, before the number I'm faxing to, it will fax from the second number?

Yes, dial **1 before you dial the number that you are calling and it will use the caller ID info for your second number. You might need a pause after the **1 before the number is dialed. Check to see if your fax machine has a way to pre dial to get an outside line and put the **1 in as your outside line access.
#87272 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:59 am
murphy wrote:Yes, dial **1 before you dial the number that you are calling and it will use the caller ID info for your second number. You might need a pause after the **1 before the number is dialed. Check to see if your fax machine has a way to pre dial to get an outside line and put the **1 in as your outside line access.

Thanks. I found the setting on my fax and inserted the **1 as the dialing prefix. Just have to test it to see if it's working right.