Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87183 by sam24and48
Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 pm
Ok I'll forewarn you, This is going to be fairly lengthy as I want to give you as much info as possible to try and determine whether this unit is bad. So here we go....

I got the unit a couple weeks ago and plugged the sucker into my network giving it a dhcp address. Everything came up and began the proper boot process and then it began the botom 4 button sequence like it was updating. It did this pretty constantly for about 20 minutes and then finally stopped for a little bit. I decided to try and call out and set up voicemail which worked fine for a period... after talking to my friend for about 15 minutes it cut out and rebooted again over and over. I have it behind my dd-wrt router so I jumped in and set a static dhcp address for it. This didn't help it would come online boot, then reboot after a brief period. When left for long periods it would then drop offline with just the "1" and "2" lights lit. I finally deleted the static entry and any dns remnants on the router. I hooked my laptop up to the home network port and accessed the oomla's interface and statically set the ip address on my subnet. I also changed the INTERNET port MAC Address: setting and applied the "Use Built In". After I did this I got much better results. The ooma would stay online for multiple hours. Then would randomly go offline again with a "1" and "2" lit. I would quickly reboot and see the same thing many hours later. I finally unplugged it and let it sit for 30 min. Plugged it back in, it updated and booted and stayed up for about 2 days. Now it's back to being offline. I have tried configuring QoS on the router, putting it in the dmz, etc.. etc... to see if it helps and so far nothing has done the trick. Any other ideas of what may be happening here outside of the unit being buggy? I have comcast cable as well and have had not service interuptions whatsoever.
#87186 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm
You've done almost everything already.

I wonder if the power supply is failing.

Or maybe you have it connected to a standby power system which sometimes causes problems?

You could temporarily try to connect the Ooma device directly to the modem for testing and see what happens.

If none of these things helps, if in warranty, contact Ooma Customer Support, or exchange your Ooma device where you bought it. If you contact Ooma Customer Support and they decide to replace the Ooma device, they will ship out another Ooma Telo; shipping prepaid, and send you a prepaid shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST