Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87159 by Thumbper
Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:31 am
Can someone help with this, since connecting Ooma, my Wi-Fi router (it is a BELKIN) is not sending out signal for my another devices, or my devices not retrieving them? The Ooma Telo works. This is my set-up currently.

1) I have an ethernet cable out of the wall into my Belkin modem/router
2) I have the ethernet cable they provided run from modem/router into internet port on the back of the Ooma telo
3) I have another ethernet cable connecting Telohome computer port to my home computer tower

So why is my wi-fi not sending out signals or my devices not retrieving them. It is for my laptop and iphones. The light on the modem/router blinks a lot of time when to is suppose to be a solid light.

Thanks, hope someone can help
#87161 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 am
Thumbper wrote:Can someone help with this, since connecting Ooma, my Wi-Fi router (it is a BELKIN) is not sending out signal for my another devices, or my devices not retrieving them? The Ooma Telo works. This is my set-up currently.

1) I have an ethernet cable out of the wall into my Belkin modem/router
2) I have the ethernet cable they provided run from modem/router into internet port on the back of the Ooma telo
3) I have another ethernet cable connecting Telohome computer port to my home computer tower

So why is my wi-fi not sending out signals or my devices not retrieving them. It is for my laptop and iphones. The light on the modem/router blinks a lot of time when to is suppose to be a solid light.

Thanks, hope someone can help

Connect as follows: Modem/router-Ooma. Router LAN port to Ooma Internet port with a network cable.

Don't connect anything to the Ooma device's Home port, except temporarily if you need to later access Ooma Setup.

Connect all other devices to the LAN ports of your Modem/Router.

Remove power from your Modem/Router and Ooma device. Repower the Modem/Router. When the Modem/Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. Reboot your other LAN devices.

Make sure your Wi-Fi is turned on in your Router, and test the Wi-Fi connections.

If you are still having problems, temporarily remove power from the Ooma device and leave temporarily unpowered.

Reboot your Modem/Router and other LAN devices, and test.

Please report how you come out.
#87317 by Thumbper
Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 am
I did all those things, and it still does not work. I called the Belkin customer service people and we tried everything the get it to work, but nothing. My laptop and Iphones say they are connected to wi-fi but I don't have internet access. I am still lost for what is wrong since I plugged the Ooma device into wi-fi and nothing else will work o o the Belkin.

Thanks,
Thumbper
#87318 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:37 am
Thumbper wrote:I did all those things, and it still does not work. I called the Belkin customer service people and we tried everything the get it to work, but nothing. My laptop and Iphones say they are connected to wi-fi but I don't have internet access. I am still lost for what is wrong since I plugged the Ooma device into wi-fi and nothing else will work o o the Belkin.

Thanks,
Thumbper

Your problem is strange.

Remove the Ooma device completely from your LAN setup and set it aside. Reconnect your Home LAN as you has it connected before you purchased your Ooma device. Reboot everything and test to see if you have Wi-Fi and see if Wi-Fi works. If you can get your Wi-Fi to work this way, the next step is to connect the Ooma device to One of the Router LAN ports and check and see if you have Wi-Fi after you Connect the Ooma device.

Remember that you may have to disconnect the Wi-Fi in your computers, then reestablish a Wi-Fi connection, after the computer reboot.

Please report what happens.
#87728 by FX4
Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 pm
I wonder if you are not fully understanding Thunderbird:

ISP(WAN)<---|Modem|<---|Ooma|<----|Belkin router|-----your computers

Once you have this all configured as I have shown above. Power everything down for 30 seconds. Then Power the Modem up. Wait 15 or twenty seconds for it to boot, then power up Ooma. Wait until you have all blue on the Ooma, this can take as much as ten or fifteen minutes. Once it's blue power up your Belkin router and wait a minute or two for it to boot. If your connections are not working at this point my guess is your ISP gave you a hard coded IP address. This sequence should work and keep all devices happy.

Note: The Ooma to internet port is connected to your modem. The Oooma Home Network port is connected to the "Wan or Internet port on your belkin router and not one of the lan ports.
#87730 by FX4
Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm
BTW, I think you guys are creating a routing problem by the way you are connecting your Ooma's. Open a command prompt window on your computer and type ipconfig. If you are coming back with 172.x.x.x Omma's DHCP server is dishing the address and you have the device connected wrong.
#87731 by highq
Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:21 pm
I think Ooma's devices are good at VOIP, and do poorly when pretending to be a router. Once having used the Home jack to enable forwarding of port 80 to 172.27.35.1, I'd stuff some chewing gum into that jack.
#87735 by FX4
Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:36 pm
The only trouble with your approach is you have to know QoS if you are connecting behind the router. Otherwise all network traffic is treated the same. If your router can handle DiffServ and prioritize correctly go for it. I do agree with you though that I don't want this device in front of my router. The functionality is way too limited for anything but a basic home setup.