Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86876 by dadinthecity
Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am
I have an ooma Telo and an ooma hub. Haven't used my hub for several months, but need that line again now.

Since my previous installation, I have installed a new Motorola SBG6580 modem/router to charter cable. My telo and the rest of network has worked fine with that and when I first plugged the hub in Monday evening, I had a dial tone and a computer connected through it from the home port with internet access, but by Tuesday morning, the connection was gone and no amount of re-booting in any order will get it back. Cannot get internet access through the home port on the hub or the hub to boot to blue.

I cannot remember if I had to set anything special for the telo when I installed the modem/router or not.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
#86878 by murphy
Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:31 am
dadinthecity wrote:I have an ooma Telo and an ooma hub. Haven't used my hub for several months, but need that line again now.

Since my previous installation, I have installed a new Motorola SBG6580 modem/router to charter cable. My telo and the rest of network has worked fine with that and when I first plugged the hub in Monday evening, I had a dial tone and a computer connected through it from the home port with internet access, but by Tuesday morning, the connection was gone and no amount of re-booting in any order will get it back. Cannot get internet access through the home port on the hub or the hub to boot to blue.

I cannot remember if I had to set anything special for the telo when I installed the modem/router or not.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

If you are putting the Hub and Telo in series you have to change the IP address subnet of one of them.
172.27.35.x to 172.27.36.x
If each is connected to a router LAN port, no change is necessary.
Have you logged into the my.ooma account for the Hub to make sure that it didn't get deactivated due to lack of use or an expired credit card number.

If the SBG6580 has an outbound firewall, try disabling it.
#86879 by dadinthecity
Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am
Each ooma unit has it's own cable to the lan ports
I did log into myooma for this account and didn't see a problem. It is an account without anything special, no premier, but I will go to the profile and check the credit card.

When I go to my router/modem configuration the only option for firewall seems to be enable or disable altogether
I will try disabling it completely.
#86882 by dadinthecity
Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am
I turned didabled the firewall and re-booted both the ooma hub, then the router, still nothing. Then re-booted the ooma hub again. Still nothing. Credit card on file is still valid.
Any other ideas?
#86888 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 am
dadinthecity wrote:thanks for the response.
I viewed this topic, but no luck.
I went to a different computer and tried to go to http://172.27.35.1 and it won't let me go there even though I can get other pages. It tries to connect, but times out.

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer.

This time reboot the Ooma Hub. When the Ooma Hub has finished booting, or has booted as far as it will boot, reboot the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on (Network Settings - Hub) (Internet - Telo) at the left upper side. Go down to Connection Type. Click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Oooma device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is
done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
#86899 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:48 pm
dadinthecity wrote:well, I would like to try that, but I can't get to the internet through the ooma hub. There is no connection through the hub whatsoever.

This could be bad news.

You were still unable to access Ooma Setup even after you rebooted the Ooma Hub and let it boot as far as it would go, then rebooted the computer?

What lights do you see on your Ooma Hub?

Also do you see the two little lights each, one solid and one flashing, next to both the Network and Home ports?
#86900 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 pm
dadinthecity wrote:well, I would like to try that, but I can't get to the internet through the ooma hub. There is no connection through the hub whatsoever.

By connecting a network cable between your computer and the Ooma "home" port, you are trying to talk to the Ooma device. Don't need internet.