Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86870 by xlellan
Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 am
I just purchased my Ooma Telo, but I cannot get it set up. If I connect it to my Motorola wireless router, it will work as long as the firewall is turned off. As soon as I turn my firewall back on, no more Ooma. If I connect it directly to my Charter-provided modem, the red light in the center lights up, indicating that it can't access the network. Any ideas on how to get this to work?
#86871 by murphy
Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 am
xlellan wrote:I just purchased my Ooma Telo, but I cannot get it set up. If I connect it to my Motorola wireless router, it will work as long as the firewall is turned off. As soon as I turn my firewall back on, no more Ooma. If I connect it directly to my Charter-provided modem, the red light in the center lights up, indicating that it can't access the network. Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Did you power cycle the modem when you changed what was connected to it?
#86872 by xlellan
Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 am
murphy wrote:
xlellan wrote:I just purchased my Ooma Telo, but I cannot get it set up. If I connect it to my Motorola wireless router, it will work as long as the firewall is turned off. As soon as I turn my firewall back on, no more Ooma. If I connect it directly to my Charter-provided modem, the red light in the center lights up, indicating that it can't access the network. Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Did you power cycle the modem when you changed what was connected to it?

Yes, I did power cycle the modem several times. It didn't help.
#86873 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 am

For a Modem-Ooma-Router configuration:
Do you have DSL? If you do, you will have to access Ooma Setup and make some changes. With the setup Modem-Ooma-Router, remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, or you have let it boot as far as it will boot, repower the Router.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at the upper left side of the window. Go to Connection type: and click on the down arrow. Select PPPoE. Go down to PPPoE Options: and fill in the User Name and password. Click on Update Device.

Again remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Router.
Test.

For a Modem-Router-Ooma configuration:
With the setup Modem-Router-Ooma, remove power from the Modem, router, and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
Access your Router Setup pages and reserve an IP address for the Ooma device. Next place the Ooma device's IP address in the Router's DMZ.
Remove power from the Modem, router, and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
Test.
#86928 by xlellan
Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 pm
thunderbird wrote:

Do you have DSL? If you do, you will have to access Ooma Setup and make some changes. With the setup Modem-Ooma-Router, remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, or you have let it boot as far as it will boot, repower the Router.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at the upper left side of the window. Go to Connection type: and click on the down arrow. Select PPPoE. Go down to PPPoE Options: and fill in the User Name and password. Click on Update Device.

Again remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Router.
Test.

For a Modem-Router-Ooma configuration:
With the setup Modem-Router-Ooma, remove power from the Modem, router, and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
Access your Router Setup pages and reserve an IP address for the Ooma device. Next place the Ooma device's IP address in the Router's DMZ.
Remove power from the Modem, router, and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
Test.

Thanks for the info. We don't have DSL. We have a cable modem.
#86930 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm
xlellan:
With the setup Modem-Ooma-Router, remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, or you have let it boot as far as it will boot, repower the Router.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at the upper left side of the window. Go to Connection type: and click on the down arrow. Select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device.

Test.
#87433 by xlellan
Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 am
Thanks for all the help. We were able to get it to work and I'm still not sure how. My husband just went through the same process we'd been doing over and over, and for some reason it worked on the 10th or so try?!?
#87485 by bkamin
Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 am
I, too, am unable to get it right. The setup is a Dlink and Linksys on one floor with the switch on another (close to the iMac). We have comcast cable internet service and would like to use Airport for the connection if that is either possible or preferable. I have tried several configurations -- all with no success. Would it be a recommendation to try the wireless connection approach (need to purchase a piece of hardware from Ooma...yes?). Thanks to responders -- your expertise is welcome and appreciated!
#87486 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:32 am
bkamin wrote:I, too, am unable to get it right. The setup is a Dlink and Linksys on one floor with the switch on another (close to the iMac). We have comcast cable internet service and would like to use Airport for the connection if that is either possible or preferable. I have tried several configurations -- all with no success. Would it be a recommendation to try the wireless connection approach (need to purchase a piece of hardware from Ooma...yes?). Thanks to responders -- your expertise is welcome and appreciated!

Just connect a network cable from one of the Router LAN ports, or the Switch, to the Ooma Telo Internet port.

Remove power from the Modem, Router and Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done powering, power the Ooma Telo.

If that doesn't work, post what is happening and I will provide additional instructions.

Yes you have to purchase a Wi-Fi dongle from Ooma, if you want to use Wi-Fi for your Ooma Telo Internet connection.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
#87586 by bkamin
Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:35 am
Thunderbird, thanks for responding. One other question -- my iMac only has one ethernet port. What would be the effect of using a splitter on each end (one at the computer and one at the Telo)? If this would work...which Telo port should be used?

Again, thanks