Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86751 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:30 am
I did everything you said and I still have the #2, the fast forward lights on and the logo blinking red, along with a fast busy tone from the single phone I have hooked to the Telo....oops...now it's flashing red/blue but still getting a busy signal
#86752 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:So, you are saying I should go Modem - Router - Ooma vs my current setup of Modem - Ooma - Router?? I am using ethernet cables, not phone lines and I'm not using the included cable but good ones that I already have.

And I still haven't figured out where under My Ooma that I find the assigned phone number. The only number(s) I see listed are my current home phone and an 888 number on the voicemail, which I assume is probably a call from Ooma. Can I retrieve the voicemail on the pc or do I have to do it on the Telo?? Or can I retrieve it on my phone line??

Since you have a free two month subscription to Ooma Premier, you can have two phone numbers.
If you didn't select these number when setting up your Ooma profile in My Ooma, you may have to call Ooma Customer Suppport to have this done, if you want to use Ooma phone service waiting for your number port. This may be the reason that the Ooma device just sits and flashes. To double check go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and see if there are any phone numbers listed.

The other thing that you could try is to run a phone cord from the Ooma Telo's Wall phone Port (if your Ooma Telo has a phone Wall port. Ooma stopped selling the Ooma Telos with the phone Wall port some time back.), to a home wall phone port. Then see if the Ooma device boots all of the way up. If that doen't work contact Ooma Customer Support and have phone numbers assigned. (Probably the best way to go).

Than if your Ooma device still doesn't boot all of the way, try the Modem-Router-Ooma setup. This should "wake-up" the Ooma, and after that you can connect it any way you want.

I have my Ooma's connected Modem-Router-Ooma and they function very well.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
#86754 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:49 am
Okay...you are right...I had no number assigned other than my home number so I added a number. I have already connected it, per your instructions, via the modem - router - Ooma. The is a refurbished unit and has a phone and a wall jack on the back. I just rebooted the Telo after getting a number assigned and same thing...#2 and fast forward solid on and logo flashing red. I am in the process of emailing customer support.
#86755 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am
Your "Note: I used Home port instead of Wall phone port in three places in the previous post." worked!! I now have a dial tone and a blue logo.

So, once they port my phone line, I'm assuming I would unplug the line that goes from my wall drop and plug it in to the wall line port of the Telo? Also...I just tried dialing my home phone number (and I have not yet requested porting) from the phone directly connected to the Telo and got a message that wants to instruct me how to set up my voicemail.
#86757 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:11 pm
Now I'm REALLY CONFUSED!! When I call the new number that I just got assigned by Ooma from my cell phone, it rings on the Telo and the phone that is connected directly to the Telo. When I call my regular home number from my cell phone, it rings on all of my phones and it rings on the Telo and on the phone connected directly to the Telo but I "just" finished the porting request. Why is it already ringing on the Telo???
#86758 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 pm
GeordieLaforge wrote:Your "Note: I used Home port instead of Wall phone port in three places in the previous post." worked!! I now have a dial tone and a blue logo.

So, once they port my phone line, I'm assuming I would unplug the line that goes from my wall drop and plug it in to the wall line port of the Telo? Also...I just tried dialing my home phone number (and I have not yet requested porting) from the phone directly connected to the Telo and got a message that wants to instruct me how to set up my voicemail.

Sounds like you are in! You should be able to call the number, say from your cell phone, that is being ported and it should ring through to the Ooma Telo. Also you should be able to call the second number you assigned to your My Ooma profile and that should ring through also.

You just need to play around a little to figure out all of the options.

A very few people have quality of service problems when connected Modem-Router-Ooma, if so connect the other way, or post the problems, and someone will give you instructions to correct those problems if they occur.

Good luck.
#86759 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:23 pm
So, even though the number has not been ported, it will still ring through on the Telo? Then what is the purpose of porting? Or is that required so that when I cancel the phone service via the cable, I don't lose it...it's transferred to Telo??

Thunderbird...don't know who you are but you are a miracle worker...thank you so very much for your assistance.
#86761 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:06 pm
GeordieLaforge wrote:So, even though the number has not been ported, it will still ring through on the Telo? Then what is the purpose of porting? Or is that required so that when I cancel the phone service via the cable, I don't lose it...it's transferred to Telo??

Thunderbird...don't know who you are but you are a miracle worker...thank you so very much for your assistance.

You have answered you own questions. The number being ported comes in on your old phone company line, from your home's Wall port to the Ooma Wall port. After your number has been ported, the ported number then rings through the Ooma servers to your Ooma Telo, to your phones. You never want to cancel your old phone service until your number has been ported. Otherwise you may loose you phone number.

There are serveral people in this forum that are also very good and also would help.