Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86739 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:38 am
My original setup is the cable line in to the cable modem with an ethernet cable to my wireless router. My phone lines are installed with multiple drops from one main (all the lines come in to one central box so that all the same colored lines are connected to the same connectors) and the main has a phone line that runs to the back of my cable modem (Line 1 out).

I need to know what configuration to use to connect the Ooma and I assume that, since I want to port my old phone number, I need to keep the phone line to the main drop going to the cable modem until my number has been ported??

If I take the ethernet cable from the cable modem and install it in the Ooma Telo (Internet), then take the line from the Ooma Home Network to the in port on the router, where do I connect my phone lines???? Or should I be doing something different?
#86741 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:My original setup is the cable line in to the cable modem with an ethernet cable to my wireless router. My phone lines are installed with multiple drops from one main (all the lines come in to one central box so that all the same colored lines are connected to the same connectors) and the main has a phone line that runs to the back of my cable modem (Line 1 out).

I need to know what configuration to use to connect the Ooma and I assume that, since I want to port my old phone number, I need to keep the phone line to the main drop going to the cable modem until my number has been ported??

If I take the ethernet cable from the cable modem and install it in the Ooma Telo (Internet), then take the line from the Ooma Home Network to the in port on the router, where do I connect my phone lines???? Or should I be doing something different?

Use this procedure if you chose to use temporary Ooma phone numbers, when setting up your profile in My Ooma.
Connect your wireless phone system or a corded phone to the Ooma Telo Phone port for Ooma phone service use right now. Leave a phone connected to your home's wiring to be able to use that phone service until it is discontinued. Late after your Phone number port is finished, you will isolate your home's phone wiring, from the old provider phone line coming in from the street, to protect the Ooma system from damage from any signal that may remain coming from the old provider's phone line. Then through use of a phone line splitter, connect the Ooma Telo phone line to one of your home phone wall outlets to feed the rest of the house with the Ooma phone signal. If your Ooma Telo has a Wall phone port, don't plug anything into it.
#86742 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:27 am
I have no signal coming in from the street as my phone lines are currently run through the cable company. The cable companies modem has a "phone out" jack and that goes to my drop box (the other side of the phone line has been cut and the wires are wired to the 4 pole box, with all the other phone drops wired in according to color so that the phones are not connected is series but in parallel to avoid one phone jack messing up all the others). If I take the ethernet cable that is currently running from my cable companies modem to the wireless router, and plug it in to the back of the Ooma Telo "internet" jack, then run an ethernet cable from the Ooma Telo "home network" jack to my wireless router, I lose the internet completely. Is this normal and, if so I assume it's because the Telo is booting up...should I just leave it connected that way for ?? minutes and it will eventually complete booting up and give me back my internet connection???

BTW...all of these connections are in my 2nd floor storage space and there are no computers connected directly to anything...it's all done via the router.
#86743 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:33 am
While I am at it, you stated that "if you chose to use temporary Ooma phone numbers..". I set up my system so that I can port my current phone number so how do I find out my "temporary Ooma phone number"??
#86744 by murphy
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:45 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:I have no signal coming in from the street as my phone lines are currently run through the cable company. The cable companies modem has a "phone out" jack and that goes to my drop box (the other side of the phone line has been cut and the wires are wired to the 4 pole box, with all the other phone drops wired in according to color so that the phones are not connected is series but in parallel to avoid one phone jack messing up all the others). If I take the ethernet cable that is currently running from my cable companies modem to the wireless router, and plug it in to the back of the Ooma Telo "internet" jack, then run an ethernet cable from the Ooma Telo "home network" jack to my wireless router, I lose the internet completely. Is this normal and, if so I assume it's because the Telo is booting up...should I just leave it connected that way for ?? minutes and it will eventually complete booting up and give me back my internet connection???

BTW...all of these connections are in my 2nd floor storage space and there are no computers connected directly to anything...it's all done via the router.

You must power cycle the modem everytime that you change what is connected to it. Since your modem is a voice modem it probably has a backup battery. Look on the back of the modem for a reset hole and reset the modem or remove the power and the battery.
#86745 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 am
I have already removed the battery and powered down the modem and the router, then powered them both back up. My internet is currently working, as are my phone lines (still connected to the cable modem) and I have a single phone line connected to the Ooma Telo which currently has the logo flashing red, and the 1, 2 and fast forward lines solid blue. I will check them again in about an hour when I return from an errand. I assume that the once the Telo finishes connecting, the logo should be a solid blue and is only flashing red now because it hasn't finished booting and connecting??
#86747 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:46 am
Well, it's almost 3 hours later and the Telo is still flashing the logo red, while the # 2 and fast forward are all solidly lit up blue and I still have a fast busy tone on the one phone connected to the Telo. The two ethernet ports in the back are showing green on the right (looking from the rear) and flashing yellow on the left.

Why can't I get my phone line to work??
#86748 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:23 am
GeordieLaforge wrote:Well, it's almost 3 hours later and the Telo is still flashing the logo red, while the # 2 and fast forward are all solidly lit up blue and I still have a fast busy tone on the one phone connected to the Telo. The two ethernet ports in the back are showing green on the right (looking from the rear) and flashing yellow on the left.

Why can't I get my phone line to work??

For Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Make sure that the Ooma device is connected with a network cable from a router LAN port the the Internet port of the Ooma device.

Note: Some people have reported that the network cable that comes with the Ooma device has been defective.

Also make sure you aren't using the phone cord for a network cable, it's easy to do.

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at the left upper side. Go down to Connection Type. Click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Oooma device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is
done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.

Note: With the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, most people will connect nothing to the Ooma Home port, except when making adjustments to Ooma Setup, because of network printing, and file sharing issues.
#86749 by GeordieLaforge
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 am
So, you are saying I should go Modem - Router - Ooma vs my current setup of Modem - Ooma - Router?? I am using ethernet cables, not phone lines and I'm not using the included cable but good ones that I already have.

And I still haven't figured out where under My Ooma that I find the assigned phone number. The only number(s) I see listed are my current home phone and an 888 number on the voicemail, which I assume is probably a call from Ooma. Can I retrieve the voicemail on the pc or do I have to do it on the Telo?? Or can I retrieve it on my phone line??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests