Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86653 by farmerj
Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 am
Hi. I just configured a new Ooma behind my router and call quality so far is great, no issues. Now here is my question:
Can I have :
- Line 1 be my local Ooma number that I configured during setup
- Line 2 be a ported phone number

If so, how to set that up? anything special I need to do with the wiring in the house?
#86654 by farmerj
Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 am
Reading a sales page at ooma.com, it seems like Line 2 is only possible with a Telo handset. Is that right? I want to avoid using a Dect 6.0 device in my home, is there any way to use Line 2 with a normal phone?
#86655 by murphy
Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 am
farmerj wrote:Reading a sales page at ooma.com, it seems like Line 2 is only possible with a Telo handset. Is that right? I want to avoid using a Dect 6.0 device in my home, is there any way to use Line 2 with a normal phone?

You can use the second phone number if it is in the shared pool but you can't make two calls at the same time without a Telo handset. The Telo base is a DECT 6 device so you already have one. What don't you like about DECT 6?
#86666 by farmerj
Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am
hi murphy - I shouldn't have brought up dect 6, don't want to get my question off on a tangent. dect 6 and wifi emit rf and I try to avoid them in the house. Good point about the telo base, I need to look into that while still in my 30 day period.

so, when you say "shared pool", not sure what you mean.
- for incoming calls, will Line 1 and Line 2 go to separate voicemail boxes, with different "leave your message" messages?
- when I place an outgoing call using a non-Telo handset phone, can I choose which Line will place the call?

I guess those are the main questions. Just wonder how Ooma will know that I want my new ported number to go on Line 2 and not overwrite the assigned number that I got during setup on Line 1.
#86686 by murphy
Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm
farmerj wrote:hi murphy - I shouldn't have brought up dect 6, don't want to get my question off on a tangent. dect 6 and wifi emit rf and I try to avoid them in the house. Good point about the telo base, I need to look into that while still in my 30 day period.

so, when you say "shared pool", not sure what you mean.
- for incoming calls, will Line 1 and Line 2 go to separate voicemail boxes, with different "leave your message" messages?
- when I place an outgoing call using a non-Telo handset phone, can I choose which Line will place the call?

I guess those are the main questions. Just wonder how Ooma will know that I want my new ported number to go on Line 2 and not overwrite the assigned number that I got during setup on Line 1.

Two phone numbers are by default in the shared pool. That means that both numbers will ring all of the phones.
To have separate voicemail boxes you would need a Telo handset configured as a personal device and one of the numbers assigned to it. Then you would have two independent phone numbers.
You can force the caller ID on an outgoing call to use the second number by dialing **1 before you dial the number.

You must call customer support and tell them that you want the ported number to be the second number.