Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86602 by ooma Fan
Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:38 am
I know that this has been addressed a few times but I am not a network eng. I have never configured a router before and some most of what has been discussed is beyond me, however I am picking some of it up.

My problem is that I am a student and my telo is slowing down my connection so bad that I can wait 10 minutes to download an 8mb word doc and it will only be at 2%. If I unplug my telo it takes about 1 minute to download the whole doc. I really need some help to get this resolved. Also at times the voice sounds digitized when on a call.I cant afford a land line. I have to make this work.

I have:
Century Link 1.5mbs DSL
Actiontec PK5000 Router
Ooma Telo

The incoming DSL line is pluged into the router. The Telo is pluged into port 2 of the router.

When I run the speed test the avg download is 1.2mbs. It has been as low as .485mbs
The upload avg is .675mbs. My upload was faster than my download once.

My Wifi works just fine. It is only my hard wired desktop pc that has the slow connection issue. If I unplug ooma is speeds back up.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for you help!!
#86603 by murphy
Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 am
Connect your computer to the router instead of the Home port of the Telo.
#86609 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am
ooma Fan wrote:I know that this has been addressed a few times but I am not a network eng. I have never configured a router before and some most of what has been discussed is beyond me, however I am picking some of it up.

My problem is that I am a student and my telo is slowing down my connection so bad that I can wait 10 minutes to download an 8mb word doc and it will only be at 2%. If I unplug my telo it takes about 1 minute to download the whole doc. I really need some help to get this resolved. Also at times the voice sounds digitized when on a call.I cant afford a land line. I have to make this work.

I have:
Century Link 1.5mbs DSL
Actiontec PK5000 Router
Ooma Telo

The incoming DSL line is pluged into the router. The Telo is pluged into port 2 of the router.

When I run the speed test the avg download is 1.2mbs. It has been as low as .485mbs
The upload avg is .675mbs. My upload was faster than my download once.

My Wifi works just fine. It is only my hard wired desktop pc that has the slow connection issue. If I unplug ooma is speeds back up.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for you help!!

The router is probably set to give priority to VoIP traffic (Ooma traffic). You need to read your router manual and see if there is a setting for this. Some routers will allow you to set percentages or settings for Quality of Service, reserving bandwidth for the Ooma device, while still giving other LAN devices their share of bandwidth.