Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86592 by awraynor
Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 pm
I installed my Ooma a few months ago, but I haven't used it except for the first few days.
My number has been ported and I went to connect it and have had many problems. In the
interim I have also went from DSL/DirecTV/ATT landline to Charter Cable for internet/cable
and hopefully Ooma for phone.

1. If I hook it straight to the cable modem it works fine.
2. If I hook it between the modem and the router it is fine, but my internet crawls
to a near standstill.
3. If I hook it behind the router or to a switch in my network it flashes red constantly.
I assume this means no connectivity, but ever other device on the network works fine.
I use a Dlink DIR-655 router and gigabit switches throughout on a 12 meg connection so
speed shouldn't be a problem.

My home is wired for ethernet through a communications closet. For the phone system it
begins as ethernet wiring with the plate being a standard phone connection on the opposite end.
Does anyone know of an adapter or cable that will enable me to connect the phone port on the Ooma
to the ethernet connector in my closet?

Wish I had tested this again after the switch from DSL to Cable and before I ported my number, ugh! :?:
#86593 by murphy
Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm
awraynor wrote:I installed my Ooma a few months ago, but I haven't used it except for the first few days.
My number has been ported and I went to connect it and have had many problems. In the
interim I have also went from DSL/DirecTV/ATT landline to Charter Cable for internet/cable
and hopefully Ooma for phone.

1. If I hook it straight to the cable modem it works fine.
2. If I hook it between the modem and the router it is fine, but my internet crawls
to a near standstill.
3. If I hook it behind the router or to a switch in my network it flashes red constantly.
I assume this means no connectivity, but ever other device on the network works fine.
I use a Dlink DIR-655 router and gigabit switches throughout on a 12 meg connection so
speed shouldn't be a problem.

My home is wired for ethernet through a communications closet. For the phone system it
begins as ethernet wiring with the plate being a standard phone connection on the opposite end.
Does anyone know of an adapter or cable that will enable me to connect the phone port on the Ooma
to the ethernet connector in my closet?

Wish I had tested this again after the switch from DSL to Cable and before I ported my number, ugh! :?:

Does your router have an outbound firewall? If it does there a bunch of ports that have to be opened. Disable the firewall to verify that is the problem.

A standard phone plug will plug directly into an ethernet jack (RJ-45). It's up to you to get the wiring right because the voltage on a phone line will destroy ethernet hardware if you accidentally connect the Telo Phone jack to a live ethernet cable.
#86598 by Leeway
Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am
I'm with Murphy on this one. I also have a Dlink 655 router and Gigabit switch. My Telo works perfectly plugged into either of those devices. Make sure you are using the correct plug please and also into the correct input on the Telo.

I assume you are re-booting the whole shebang after trying each connection?

I did not have to change anything in the firewall on the router

Make sure you are using built-in MAC address

Donna
#86621 by awraynor
Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:47 pm
Thank for your help. I ultimately set the router to factory default which didn't appear
to help. I went into the firewall section of the router software and disabled SPI and it worked.
What is funny is that after renabling it still works. I am fairly computer literate, but boy
do I dislike anything to do with networking.
I was also able to put the base for the wireless phone system near a jack that is suitable
for the Ooma and the phone base.
So for firewall settings I have
1. SPI enabled
2. UDP Endpoint Filtering - address restricted
3. TCP Endpoint Filtering - port and address restricted
4. Enable anti-spoof checking not enabled

Are these suitable? With the vast amount of settings for the router, does anyone use WISH (wireless intelligent
stream handling)?

For now everything seems to work, so I should probably leave well enough alone.