Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86431 by Shing
Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:14 pm
I hope someone can help me out with this. Our modem was hit by lightning and we just got a new one. I have given the cable company the mac ID and it is registered and working. When I try to hook up my ooma the "link" light on the modem doesn't come back on so I cannot access the internet. It is not a wireless modem. I do not have a router. I just have the ooma-modem-computer. My ooma worked fine with the other modem. I have the new modem hooked up the same way as I did the old one but no luck getting ooma hooked up.
Can anyone please give me any idea as to why it won't work? And suggestions what I can do to get it working.
#86432 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 pm
Shing wrote:I hope someone can help me out with this. Our modem was hit by lightning and we just got a new one. I have given the cable company the mac ID and it is registered and working. When I try to hook up my ooma the "link" light on the modem doesn't come back on so I cannot access the internet. It is not a wireless modem. I do not have a router. I just have the ooma-modem-computer. My ooma worked fine with the other modem. I have the new modem hooked up the same way as I did the old one but no luck getting ooma hooked up.
Can anyone please give me any idea as to why it won't work? And suggestions what I can do to get it working.

Your Ooma device could have been damaged by the Lightening power surge also. Look at the Ooma device Internet port where the network cable is connected, coming from the Modem. There are two tiny lights, one will be lit a solid color, usually green, and the other should be blinking, usually yellow. If you see no lights at the Ooma device Internet port, that is a bad sign. One, your power adapter could be damaged and defective, or two, the Ooma device is damaged and defective.
Next if you see the Internet port lights, do you see any light come on the Ooma device?

If you see lights on the face of the Ooma device, tell me which ones. If you have DSL, the way you connect to the Ooma device is a little different, and I can tell you what to do in that case.

Be sure to do a full reboot of all devices:
Be sure to remove power from the Modem, Ooma device, and computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done powering, repower the computer.

If you find that the Ooma device is completely dead, if it is still in the one year warranty period, Ooma will probably send you another Ooma device, shipping perpaid. They will also send you a prepaid shipping label for shipping the defective Ooma device back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#86438 by Shing
Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm
I contacted customer support. You are exactly right!! They walked me thru the troubleshooting and there are no lights, green or orange, on the back of the ooma modem slot. Even after resetting with the tab all the lights on the front were still red.
OOMA customer service is being wonderful and they are shipping me a new unit. I do have to ship back the non working one but that is fine with me.
I have been using my cell for the last 2 weeks since not having the ooma and I am reminded why I don't want to go only cell! I have so many dead zones with the cell. I had 3 lost signal calls when I called ooma support.

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Like I said you were right on the button with your answer!