Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86372 by AzJazz
Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:02 pm
OK ... I moved my Telo to the "front of the line" to improve my VoIP sound quality. My cable modem gets me 25 Mbps download / 9 Mbps upload consistently, so I set my QoS values to 22000 down/6000 up. Hopefully, these are good values. (Anybody?) That's one techie question, but not the real reason I am posting.

Now, here's the real techie-situation:

I have my wireless router configured to manage a fairly complex home network. I have approximately 12 items connected to the LAN, with a mix of wireless and hard-wired connections. I need to have static IP addresses to properly route data to the desired device (and, to figure out what the heck is going on). So, I have a complex set of addresses/port forwarding/other stuff stored in my wireless router. My router is configured as a DNS server in the 192.168.1.1xx range, with the wireless router at 192.168.1.1.

Here's the problem: Looking at the ooma setup pages, I didn't see an option to disable the ooma from being a DNS server. I don't want 2 DNS servers on my network, especially in two separate IP ranges - I currently need to disconnect the ooma and disable my network whenever I want to configure the ooma. I *don't* want to be entering all this configuration stuff again, and I don't even know if the ooma Telo is sufficiently sophisticated of a router to handle all the stuff I have going on (especially if it doesn't have a basic option to turn being a DNS server to "off"). So, I would like to configure the ooma Telo to have a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2, with an DNS server IP range of 192.168.1.3 thru 192.168.1.4. My wireless router can manage a range of 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.199, with the gateway at 192.168.1.1.

However, when I tried to set this up, I lost almost everything except my phone service. I couldn't even get back to the ooma Telo setup page at http://192.168.1.2. I had to do a factory reset of the ooma Telo to get it so I could access the setup pages again.

Can anyone help me get my setup configured properly? The ideal situation would be for me to set the ooma Telo to a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2, with the ooma DNS server turned "off" (If I missed something).
#86373 by murphy
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 am
You can't have two routers that are in series in the same subnet (192.168.1.x). The fact that a request is for a different subnet is what causes the request to be sent through the WAN port instead of being broadcast on the LAN. Do yourself a favor and put the Ooma box behind your router with nothing connected to it's Home network jack. I have had a Hub and a Telo both connected behind my router for two years. They work fine in that configuration.
#86383 by AzJazz
Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 am
Thanks, murphy - That different IP range for a serial connection makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. Thanks for clearing that up.

I did have my ooma behind the router with nothing on the Home Network port, and I was getting constant complaints recently about poor audio quality. I could hear some of it on my end too, occasionally. The audio became more digitized and "twangy", with lots of drop-outs.

I was assuming that something in my system was hogging resources, though I couldn't figure out what. At one time, I was P2P torrent sourcing Linux Mint, and when I cancelled that, my audio instantly improved - but that was a one-time thing. I'm not P2P sourcing anything now, and still have the same audio issues.

I tried to set up network monitoring software that could read the data going through the router (PRTG), but my router didn't support the SNMP messaging.

So, I decided to follow ooma's advice, and put the ooma Telo first in the chain. On last night's international conference call (the one I have the most audio problems with), everybody said my sound was fine - for the first time in weeks.

There was only one other thing that I changed that might have had an impact on my old audio quality: When the ooma Telo was behind my router, the ooma's QoS upload value in the Setup screen was set to the default 384 kbs and the download was set to 0. I changed those values to what you see in my first posting when I set things up serially. Would that have caused a problem?
#86400 by dknyinva
Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:32 pm
With a 25/9 pipe you shouldn't need to setup any QoS. Your audio quality issue could be addressed with a new FW release by Ooma at a later time. BTW, I think when you use the term DNS you meant DHCP...correct me if I'm wrong. Try creating a few Packet Filter rules and see how much and what traffic are being routed.

Good Luck
#86406 by AzJazz
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:16 pm
dknyinva wrote:With a 25/9 pipe you shouldn't need to setup any QoS. Your audio quality issue could be addressed with a new FW release by Ooma at a later time. BTW, I think when you use the term DNS you meant DHCP...correct me if I'm wrong. Try creating a few Packet Filter rules and see how much and what traffic are being routed.

Good Luck

dknyinva - You are absolutely correct ... I meant DHCP, not DNS. Carrying a ton of hours at work these days, and my brain was fried at least a week ago. Can't wait to be un-fried again. :D

So, when you say that I don't need to set up any QoS, does that mean that I should set both the upload and download values to "0"?

Also, for some reason I have been having problems with my internet connectivity in this new architecture. Devices can connect to the router OK, and get their IP address OK, but the devices say that they can't connect to the internet.

Harumph.