Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86178 by tollster
Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 am
Trying to hook upa Linksys E3000 and the Telo, and according to Ooma diagrams,the Telo is between my modem and the linksys e3000, (Inline). However, my linksys e3000 is a stand alone unit,meaning my modem is inline between my computer and my telphone/dsl connection. My Linksys, just plugs into my modem, but there is not a return cable, or perhaps another way to put it, its not inline like the diagram in the Ooma directions.

I tried to hook it up, plugging it into one of the ports i use for wireless devices,but it just blinks some of the various blue lights for hours. I also tried to hook it up inline between the modem and the linksys, and it just blinks again for hours. At no time did I ever see the Ooma flower light up upon pluggin it in,not red, not blue, nothing.

The 1and 2 lights up at first,then the fastforward button, then finally the 3 at the top blink. the phone has a busy signal,Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
#86179 by thunderbird
Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:43 am
tollster:
Aternate Ooma Connection, Modem-Router-Ooma:
Try connecting your Ooma device's Internet port to one of the Router LAN ports. Don't connect anything to the Ooma device's Home port, except to temporarily connect a computer to accesss Ooma Setup, if requred.
After connecting, remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. When connecting to the Internet the first time, the Ooma device has to do an update from the Ooma servers, which may take about a half hour, before normal phone service starts.
#86180 by murphy
Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 am
Did you activate the Telo before you tried to hook it up? That is absolutely necessary.
Did you activate in stand alone mode - NOT landline integration mode.
(If your Telo does not have a Wall jack, landline integration mode is not possible)
If you activated in landline integration mode you must connect a working landline to the Telo's wall jack.

Leave your router connected to the DSL modem for the initial setup.
Connect the Internet jack of the Telo to one of the four LAN jacks on the router.
Leave the Home jack of the Telo unused.
Let it sit for up to an hour since it may need to download and install the current firmware.

Putting the Telo between the modem and the router is more complicated with DSL.
It depends on whether or not the modem is in bridge mode and whether the DSL credentials are entered into the modem or into the router.
#86183 by tollster
Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:40 am
Before I read your replys' I replugged some of the connections: After reboot of telo, lights blinked here and there, now all lights are off.Currently I have: Modem internet to internet telo, home telo to Linksys eithernet. Computer internet is functionable, but busy signal on nonwireless hard wired phone persists.

I did register the unit, it was reconditioned and there where no issues with the register number. I chose to keep my original landline phone number when that question was asked, I also went with the premier package. I am going to try a cold start on all devices and see if that helps. It appears to be talking back and forth on the connections as the yellow lights flicker from time to time, however no lights on the face of the telo are on...none.

Printing ya'll suggestions in the event this fails, thank you and will keep ya posted.
Tol
#86184 by tollster
Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am
Well that did not work either, so I powered down:

1: reconnected my modem internet to router internet..

2: Connected internet on ooma to LAN on router

Lights on top still blinking, router shows connection is good. Doers that flower looking thing on the face ever light up? I thought it said red when booting, blue when ready to use? Its never done anything. Kind of wondering if this unit is faulty as I can think of anymore ways to really try to hook it up
#86186 by thunderbird
Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 am
tollster wrote:Well that did not work either, so I powered down:

1: reconnected my modem internet to router internet..

2: Connected internet on ooma to LAN on router

Lights on top still blinking, router shows connection is good. Doers that flower looking thing on the face ever light up? I thought it said red when booting, blue when ready to use? Its never done anything. Kind of wondering if this unit is faulty as I can think of anymore ways to really try to hook it up

Using the Modem-Router-Ooma setup, with the Ooma device booted as far as it will boot, access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma device's Home port to the wired Lan port of the computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
Click on Internet, then go to Connection type: and click on the down arrow. Select Dynamic (DHCP). Go down to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device. Reboot the Router. After the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma device.

If the Ooma device still doesn't start, let the Ooma device boot as far as it will boot. Access Ooma Setup again.
Click on Status on left side of page. Under Network make sure you see an IP address following TO INTERNET port:. Example, Connected: [ 192.168.xxx.xxx ]
Go down to Ooma Tunnel and see if it says Connected following Ooma Tunnel. If it doesn't you have to call Ooma Customer Support and have then give your Ooma profile a "kick start".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#86187 by murphy
Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 am
tollster wrote:Before I read your replys' I replugged some of the connections: After reboot of telo, lights blinked here and there, now all lights are off.Currently I have: Modem internet to internet telo, home telo to Linksys eithernet. Computer internet is functionable, but busy signal on nonwireless hard wired phone persists.

I did register the unit, it was reconditioned and there where no issues with the register number. I chose to keep my original landline phone number when that question was asked, I also went with the premier package. I am going to try a cold start on all devices and see if that helps. It appears to be talking back and forth on the connections as the yellow lights flicker from time to time, however no lights on the face of the telo are on...none.

Printing ya'll suggestions in the event this fails, thank you and will keep ya posted.
Tol

If you chose to keep your landline number that measns that you selected landline integration.
You must connect a phone cable from your landline to the Telo Wall jack or it will not work.
#86190 by tollster
Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 am
Need to go over the setup as I have an external modem supplied from my ISP and the order they are in seems slightly different than what I read in the above suggestions. So from the back of my computer where the (Yellow cable)eithernet connection starts,

1A: Yellow eithernet cable from computer goes to my Lan slot #1, on the Linksys E3000. (this is the first device off the eithernet computer slot)

B: Lan slot #2 goes to the Tele Internet slot

C Blue eithernet cable, Lan Slot #3 goes to a large format printer

D:[i] Lan Slot #4 goes to my ISP's modem/ where it is connected to a Lan slot #2 of the modem[/i], the ISP"s modem also has a land phone line connected to it, which goes to the wall jack. ISP's Modem is a Siemens Gigaset 567

If I follow the instructions, won't I loose the internet connection all together? Based on what you see here, should the modem be the first unit off the computer.
I did grab a landbased non electric plugin phone and plugged the phone line into the wall jack on the Telo.

I do not believe my desktop has a wi-fi option, however the Linksys as well as my ISP modem does. If an effort to tun them off, I have to unplug the units, hence my concern for loosing the internet all togther.

Thank you very much for your time,
Sincerely,
Tollie Perry
#86193 by thunderbird
Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm
Tollie:
Starting from the Internet, where the signal comes from, is the usual way of thinking about connecting a home setup. I will only address the connections needed to provide Internet signal to the Ooma Telo.

You didn't mention anything connected to the Linksys E3000 Yellow WAN Internet port.
From your connection discription, it appears that you are using your Linksys E3000 Router as a Switch, and not using the full functions of a Router. You need a Yellow Modem port to Yellow Router port Ethernet Cable connection.

Modem Connections for Ooma Setup:
Remove power from the Modem, Router and Ooma device.
1. Connect an Ethernet cable (Network cable) (RJ-45) to the Ethernet port on the Gigaset device (Modem) (yellow port).
2. Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable, which you just connected, to the Internet (WAN) (Yellow) port of your Linksys E3000 Router.
3. Plug the DSL cable (RJ-11) into the DSL port on the Gigaset device (gray port).
4. Plug the other end of the DSL cable (RJ-11) into the house phone jack coming from the Internet.
5. Plug the power adapter into the power outlet and the Gigaset device (black port).
6. Ensure that the Gigaset device is powered on. The power switch is on the right side of the back panel.

Router to Ooma Setup:
Disconnect the Computer's Ethernet cable from the Linksys E3000 Router LAN port.
Connect the computer's Ethernet cable just removed from the Linksys E3000 Router LAN port, to the Ooma Telo's Home Port.
Connect an Ethernet cable from the Linksys E3000 Router LAN port, where you just removed the computer Ethernet cable, to the Ooma Telo's Internet port.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router, When the Router is done powering, repower the Ooma device.

Since you are using DSL, you may have to setup the PPoE Internet WAN connection in your Router, with name and password, if it hasn't been done previously.

Once you get your Ooma device up and running, if there is an open spot in your Linksys Router LAN ports, you should plug you computer back into that spot. If you don't you may have file sharing and network printing problems.

If you don't have a spare Router LAN port, you should purchase a switch and install it, connected to one of the router LAN ports. A switch acts as a Router port multiplier. I use two eight port switches in our home's setup, and they work very well.