Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#86056 by jimerc21
Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:49 pm
Hello,

I have just upgraded my Comcast service to 50mb/s download speeds from their 20mb/s service. Before and after the upgrade, my set up has been Modem>Ooma>Router. The upgrade did require that I get a new cable modem as well, which is a Motorola SB6121.

When I ran multiple speed tests of Modem>PC and Modem>Router>PC, I would consistently get 50-60mb/s download speeds. However, with the Ooma Telo in front of the router, it's right around 20. What is strange is, I hardly got any degradation when I was on the slower service with Ooma between modem and router. It's worth noting that the Ooma was not in use during these tests.

That being said, I'm thinking that A) either Ooma and the new modem aren't playing nice, or B) there is some sort of throttling/bottleneck happening on the Ooma. I understand that the Ooma is a 10/100 Mbps interface which I can tell by the amber LED status light on the modem. When connected directly to the router or PC, it's a blue LED indicating gigabit speed (1000base-t) connection. I wouldn't think that 10/100 mbps interface would throttle anything below 100mb/s but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll also note that every time a configuration change occurred, I was sure to reboot each piece of hardware in the proper order.

I'm also not opposed to putting the Ooma behind the router. However, since my ports are maxed out, I'd probably have to say bye-bye to the networked printer, or get a new router with more ports. Current modem is a D-Link DIR-655.

Any thoughts and/or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
#86058 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:58 pm
You mention that you properly power cycle everything...this is including the modem too right?

If so, are you doing the built in modem port mac address? viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

if so, turn off upstream, downstream QoS by setting to 0 and check it out...and then turn the upstream QoS back on to see if any difference.

You can even experiment setting both up/down QoS to something higher than your ISP speeds to see if things behave differently.
#86062 by jimerc21
Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm
Thanks. Yes, forgot to mention that rebooting included the modem. Always in order as well.

I also failed to mention that I am using the built-in modem port mac, and QoS is set to 0/0 which I tried first after searching the forums before I posted.
#86064 by murphy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm
jimerc21 wrote:Thanks. Yes, forgot to mention that rebooting included the modem. Always in order as well.

I also failed to mention that I am using the built-in modem port mac, and QoS is set to 0/0 which I tried first after searching the forums before I posted.

Purchase a switch to expand the LAN capabilities of your router and put the Ooma behind your router.
If the LAN side of your router supports gigabit speed here is the one that I use.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2786

If you only need a 10/100 mbit switch they are somewhat cheaper.
#86067 by jimerc21
Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:54 pm
murphy wrote:
jimerc21 wrote:Thanks. Yes, forgot to mention that rebooting included the modem. Always in order as well.

Purchase a switch to expand the LAN capabilities of your router and put the Ooma behind your router.
If the LAN side of your router supports gigabit speed here is the one that I use.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2786

If you only need a 10/100 mbit switch they are somewhat cheaper.

Murphy, thanks man. I think I just needed a quick slap upside the head. I have a similar switch under my entertainment center from a hardwired ethernet port in the wall. DirecTV, Xbox and some other goodies are wired to this switch. I just need another switch, duh. And here I was wanting to justify a new wireless printer to the Mrs. :D