Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85691 by ameneses54
Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:07 pm
After being unable to set up the OOMA as recommended (in between modem and router) I had to call support. They walked me through the typical in between Modem-Ooma-Router setup which is considered the best configuration, but it did not work.
They suggested another setup- modem-router- Ooma which seems Ok.
As it's not mentioned in the users manual, I'd like your opinion on the sequence recommended by tech support.
I still have to test the quality for a couple of weeks to see if it's satisfactory.

Arturo
#85695 by Charles R
Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm
ameneses54 wrote:They suggested another setup- modem-router- Ooma which seems Ok.
As it's not mentioned in the users manual, I'd like your opinion on the sequence recommended by tech support.

Virtually the only advantage for placing the Telo between your modem and router is to guarantee it will have a set amount of bandwidth for calls. You accomplish this by reserving bandwidth which reduces what's available to everyone else behind the Telo. So if you have plenty of bandwidth there would be no difference (at all) in call quality.

I can monitor my Internet bandwidth in 5 minute reporting periods and have found that Telo uses very little bandwidth for calls. So unless you have other activity using up almost all of your bandwidth again the performance would be identical.

I actually prefer Telo being behind my router for a number of reasons one of which is I don't have to rely on Telo being a router itself. I much rather have a dedicated device.