Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85654 by rgilfrd
Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 pm
I could never get my wifi working right with the OOMA between the cable modem and the ZyXel wireless router.. After about a week, I found my wifi would only work when the OOMA was connected downstream of the router..Fortunately I seem to have enough bandwidth to live with the audio quality. Does anyone make a wireless G cable router with a detachable antenna other than ZyXel that works with the OOMA?
#85655 by thunderbird
Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:34 pm
rgilfrd wrote:I could never get my wifi working right with the OOMA between the cable modem and the ZyXel wireless router.. After about a week, I found my wifi would only work when the OOMA was connected downstream of the router..Fortunately I seem to have enough bandwidth to live with the audio quality. Does anyone make a wireless G cable router with a detachable antenna other than ZyXel that works with the OOMA?

Why not leave The Ooma device connected to a LAN port of the router?

I have mine connected that way, and it functions very well.

Sometimes a very few people will have Quality of Service issues with the Ooma device connected Modem-Router-Ooma, but usually, with a few router/Ooma Setup adjustment, the QoS problems are easily corrected.

When the connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, usually nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port because of file sharing and network printing problems. Temporary connections are made to the Ooma Home port just for access to Ooma Setup.
#85661 by nn5i
Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am
rgilfrd wrote:Does anyone make a wireless G cable router with a detachable antenna other than ZyXel that works with the OOMA?

Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link, for starters. I have used all three at various times, each with Ooma behind, never in front.
#85662 by rgilfrd
Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 am
I think the modem-ooma-router configuration is preferred because the ooma keeps working even with a bad router..
#85666 by Charles R
Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 am
rgilfrd wrote:I think the modem-ooma-router configuration is preferred because the ooma keeps working even with a bad router..

Largely since if it's configured properly it pretty much ensures Ooma will have the needed bandwidth to provide a quality connection.
#85670 by thunderbird
Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 pm
rgilfrd wrote:I think the modem-ooma-router configuration is preferred because the ooma keeps working even with a bad router..

There is no such thing as "perferred". The Ooma device setup should be configured, how it functions best, for you and your LAN equipment and your LAN conditions.

If the Modem and Ooma devices are functioning properly and are configured correctly, the Oomo device works very well in a Modem-Ooma-Router setup.

If the Modem, Router and Ooma devices are functioning properly and are configured correctly, the Ooma device works very well in a Modem-Router-Ooma setup.

I have used both Ooma setups and they both have functioned equally well.
#85739 by WJBertrand
Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 am
Currently have mine set up modem > Ooma > D-Link Router. When I first connected everything my computer was cut off from the internet, but as soon as the Telo finished booting up, the internet connection was re-established. Seems to be working fine that way.