Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85639 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:42 pm
peggy597 wrote:How do I connect the Ooma to the VerizonWireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE. It is totally wireless and doesn't have a port.

There are two ways this can be done.

One: is to bridge from the Verizon Wireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE to a Wi-Fi compatible router access point. Then a network cable is connected between the router LAN port, and the Ooma Device's Internet port. People in this forum have used this method, some with good results, but others with so-so results. I think distance between units is the controlling factor.

Two: you can use a Wi-Fi enabled computer that receives the Wi-Fi signal from the Verizon Wireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE. Then a network cable is connected between the computer wired LAN port, and to the Ooma device's Internet port. Software settings have to be made in My Network Places, to share connections, in the computer to accomplish this link.
#88474 by sgtdave
Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:41 pm
I currently have Verizon phone for my main "landline" and Ooma basic with one line dedictated as my business phone. I want to drop my internet service and have Ooma Telo run off the Verizon Hot Spot. As suggested I can easily set up an internet connection and select the hotspot but soon as I disconnect my internet cable I drop the internet on the Ooma. It is connected to a Netgear Router so I am having trouble figuring out how to have the Ooma as a stand alone runing my one line just off the hotspot which I will leave in my office for that purpose. I would appreciate any input here but better yet to my email: sgtdave47@gmail.com. Thanks!!!!
#88475 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm
sgtdave wrote:I currently have Verizon phone for my main "landline" and Ooma basic with one line dedictated as my business phone. I want to drop my internet service and have Ooma Telo run off the Verizon Hot Spot. As suggested I can easily set up an internet connection and select the hotspot but soon as I disconnect my internet cable I drop the internet on the Ooma. It is connected to a Netgear Router so I am having trouble figuring out how to have the Ooma as a stand alone runing my one line just off the hotspot which I will leave in my office for that purpose. I would appreciate any input here but better yet to my email: sgtdave47@gmail.com. Thanks!!!!

You may want to purchase the new Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB Dongle, reference: https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-wireless-adapter

Detailed Instructions and options for setting up the Ooma Telo Wi-fi USB Dongle are here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12539
#88484 by dknyinva
Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm
peggy597 wrote:How do I connect the Ooma to the VerizonWireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE. It is totally wireless and doesn't have a port.
http://3gstore.com/page/87_which_3g4g_mobile_broadband_router_is_best_for_me.html
#88487 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:20 pm
dknyinva wrote:
http://3gstore.com/page/87_which_3g4g_mobile_broadband_router_is_best_for_me.html

The Verizon Wireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE device sends out a Wi-Fi signal, but doesn’t provide a wired LAN connection.

All that is needed was a way for the Wi-Fi Internet signal to get to the Ooma Telo.

At the time Peggy597 added this forum thread, the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi dongle wasn't yet available.

Now the $50.00 Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi dongle can be purchased and installed in the USB port of the Ooma Telo, to complete the Wi-Fi Bridge from the Verizon Wireless hotspot MiFi 4GLTE device, to the Ooma Telo.

More information in this forum topic thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12539
#88513 by sgtdave
Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 pm
Thunderbird,
Thanks for the update on Ooma!! So I buy the $50 dongle and plug it into the USB port of my Ooma Telo. Excuse my ignorance of my Netgear router but I am thinking I no longer need the router. Verizon phone is set up through their box off my cellulr plan and has nothing to do with my router. I have a phone line sitting behind my HP All in one fax/printer and when I need to fax or receive a fax I just temporarily plug the phone line into the phone line of the Ooma telo. So if I understand this correctly I can disconnect my internet through my local cable company and go wireless with the telo for my dedicated business line and still have fax capability and have my "landline" through Verizon. Could you let me know if I am correct about completly getting rid of the router? To maintain the internet connection in our office for the business phone through the telo my plan was to just pick up another hotspot device from Verizon to dedicate it to the office just for the telo. This allows my wife and I to go mobile with our two other hotspots.

What I am doing is dumping my internet, their email (went to a gmail address) and cable provider and going with apps with Apple and may also consider Apple TV. We just did not use cable enough to justify the bill and now for about the same price I have mobile hotspots for our laptops through Verizon as well.
#88515 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:46 pm
sgtdave wrote:Thunderbird,
Thanks for the update on Ooma!! So I buy the $50 dongle and plug it into the USB port of my Ooma Telo. Excuse my ignorance of my Netgear router but I am thinking I no longer need the router. Verizon phone is set up through their box off my cellulr plan and has nothing to do with my router. I have a phone line sitting behind my HP All in one fax/printer and when I need to fax or receive a fax I just temporarily plug the phone line into the phone line of the Ooma telo. So if I understand this correctly I can disconnect my internet through my local cable company and go wireless with the telo for my dedicated business line and still have fax capability and have my "landline" through Verizon. Could you let me know if I am correct about completly getting rid of the router? To maintain the internet connection in our office for the business phone through the telo my plan was to just pick up another hotspot device from Verizon to dedicate it to the office just for the telo. This allows my wife and I to go mobile with our two other hotspots.

What I am doing is dumping my internet, their email (went to a gmail address) and cable provider and going with apps with Apple and may also consider Apple TV. We just did not use cable enough to justify the bill and now for about the same price I have mobile hotspots for our laptops through Verizon as well.

As long as you have access to a Wi-Fi signal and the Wi-Fi network's password, you don't need a Router, if you are using the Ooma Telo along with using the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle.

If you travel with the Ooma Telo, you can use any Wi-Fi signal that you have access and the Wi-Fi network's password.

One small drawback is when connecting to a new Wi-Fi network; you always need a Computer connected to the Ooma Telo's Home port, to access Ooma Setup, to configure the connection for the first time.

Multiple connections can be configured ahead of time, and you can set a priority of which one to connect to first, with defaults to the other Wi-Fi networks. I haven't test that feature fully, so I don't know how well it works.

I would purchase the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi dongle, install it, and work the "bugs" out before dropping the Internet service.
#88590 by sgtdave
Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:54 pm
Thanks! Your last line was most applicable. I wanted to drop my internet/cable service ASAP to avoid paying double just because of a week out of town. I will order the Dongle and set it up first as well as buy a third Verizon Hotspot to dedicate it to our office at home for my Ooma primary line which is now my business line. That hotspot will also serve as our internet when my wife and I are at home saving the other two hotspots to stick in our computer bags for anytime we are away from the house. At Ooma's price for basic which also allows me to plug in my phone line from my FAX to send or receive faxes why would I want to buy a Friends and Family line at $10 a month from Verizon to dedicate my business line knowing they have no Fax capability. I think I have the best worlds of Ooma and Verizon but we will see how it works out when I get back in town :).
#95571 by ckeilah
Fri May 04, 2012 7:19 pm
It appears that Verizon Wireless is blocking Ooma VOIP! Bastards!! I had it working for a moment a few months ago, but only over VPN, now it appears that Ooma Mobile bypasses my VPN settings and uses the wifi and/or 3G IP stack directly. *WTF* Ooma?!?!? If I set my VPN to "send all traffic over VPN" then I damn well also want my VOIP going over my VPN. Stop acting like you know better what we want. AAARGH! :shock: