Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85340 by usaimages
Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 pm
I ordered and installed an Ooma Telos unit and handset and have a problem that the Ooma reps on the phone cannot solve. I can receive calls from anywhere except where I live. I am in the (336) 694-**** area and had my original number ported over by Ooma. If you try to call my number from the 694 area, the recording comes on and tells you to call the operator. If you call from anywhere outside the 694 area the call goes through. Cell phones have no problem getting through either. Also, the handset does not ring at all. You can, however, call out on it just fine. Ooma has replaced the Telos unit and the handset all to no avail. Same problem. The unit and handset have repeatedly been reset exactly as directed.
Does anyone out there have a solution to what is going on? All help is greatly appreciated!
#85342 by Charles R
Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm
Not really any help but it sounds like a (local) routing issue. I know zilch about delivering phone calls but it sounds similar to an Internet DNS issue where the local DNS server hasn't been updated and or corrected. Other areas work as they get the correct address via different DNS servers. I'm presuming you have had the number ported for a while so everyone has had time to get updated.

In phone call lingo it relates to a database and PIC code... which determines where the call should be routed. For whatever reason the above isn't being resolved. Perhaps the porting wasn't entirely completed? Again, I know nothing on the subject so take the above with a grain of salt.
#85343 by murphy
Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 pm
usaimages wrote:I ordered and installed an Ooma Telos unit and handset and have a problem that the Ooma reps on the phone cannot solve. I can receive calls from anywhere except where I live. I am in the (336) 694-**** area and had my original number ported over by Ooma. If you try to call my number from the 694 area, the recording comes on and tells you to call the operator. If you call from anywhere outside the 694 area the call goes through. Cell phones have no problem getting through either. Also, the handset does not ring at all. You can, however, call out on it just fine. Ooma has replaced the Telos unit and the handset all to no avail. Same problem. The unit and handset have repeatedly been reset exactly as directed.
Does anyone out there have a solution to what is going on? All help is greatly appreciated!

Have one of the persons that can't reach you call their phone company to complain that they can't reach a known working number.
#85347 by usaimages
Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 pm
Thank you both for the suggestions. I appreciate the input. Have been back on the phone with Ooma technical support and they say that it is Centurylink (old phone company) that has not completely ported the number correctly. Called Centurylink and had them run a check on the porting and they say everything was ported over on their end. Ooma blames Centurylink and Centurylink blames Ooma. Both tell me to complain to the FCC. What a crock this is turning out to be.
#85348 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:26 pm
If everyone can call you except for CenturyLink customers, it is CenturyLink's problem; have them correct their internal routing.
#85353 by usaimages
Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm
Maybe I'm the first and only Ooma customer in this area who has the service and the phone company just does not know how to port the number correctly. I think I will just call Ooma tomorrow and have them assign me an Ooma number. Hate to have paid the fee for porting and not have it work, but I cannot see any other way to do it. Don't have any use for feds of any sort so will not make a complaint with the FCC.
#85355 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 pm
The reason for this issue you are having is because CenturyLink still thinks your number is with them so they try to route your calls according to some internal routing map (of course, this doesn't work). The problem is with CenturyLink; don't let them off easy. Call CenturyLink again; may take talking to many people until you get someone who actually knows what's going on. viewtopic.php?t=12108
#85356 by southsound
Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 pm
usaimages wrote:Maybe I'm the first and only Ooma customer in this area who has the service and the phone company just does not know how to port the number correctly. I think I will just call Ooma tomorrow and have them assign me an Ooma number. Hate to have paid the fee for porting and not have it work, but I cannot see any other way to do it. Don't have any use for feds of any sort so will not make a complaint with the FCC.

You give up way too easily. Like was said by lbmofo, it is just a case where your ported number is still in CenturyLink's internal routing database. Should be very easy to get them to remove it so that their customers call call you.
#85370 by usaimages
Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:45 am
You're right! Ooma is not for wimps! Today I will go to the mat once again with Centurylink, and sooner or later I will find someone there who knows what they are doing. Kind of reminds me of cereal companies putting the kids toy in the box before they put the cereal in - got to dig through a bunch of flakes to finally get what you want.
When the dust settles I will post and let you know how it all worked out.
Thank you all for your help and advice.
#85371 by murphy
Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 am
usaimages wrote:You're right! Ooma is not for wimps! Today I will go to the mat once again with Centurylink, and sooner or later I will find someone there who knows what they are doing. Kind of reminds me of cereal companies putting the kids toy in the box before they put the cereal in - got to dig through a bunch of flakes to finally get what you want.
When the dust settles I will post and let you know how it all worked out.
Thank you all for your help and advice.

You are an ex customer of Centurylink.
A current Centurylink customer is much more likely to get the problem resolved by complaining they can't call a known working number.