Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85238 by Charles R
Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:00 pm
I did some searching and didn't see the same issue. I installed a Telo today and it works great outside of one small issue. A little background.

- I installed it via a fixed IP address (one of my incoming Internet lines).
- I installed it via DHCP (my other incoming Internet line).

The issue is the same regardless of which Internet connection I use. Even more downstream is I hear the slight buzz or hum on the attached (corded) phone even while the Telo is booting up. However if I plug the same phone into my landline I don't hear it at all... all quiet. The buzz isn't loud and sounds similar to an old phone with a bad line.

Also, if I connect the Telo to my house telephone wiring (of course I disconnected the landline service previously) I don't hear the buzz at all via the cordless phones. Again all is quiet.

Before I connected it to my house wiring I called support about the buzz and they recommended replacing the unit. Suggesting it has a grounding issue. I called Amazon and I should have a replacement tomorrow and I'll see if I hear the same buzz. Since it appears to work great via the house wiring I guess it's not a biggie but I'm wondering if this is typical? A quiet buzz on the attached phone after it boots a while (before it comes online) and remains afterwards. While dialing and talking on the phone.

Outside of this issue everything appears to work like a champ and so far I'm impressed.
#85241 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm
Charles R:
Almost always when there is a buzz or hum when using the Ooma Device, it's the phone, not the Ooma device. It will be interesting to hear if replacing the Ooma device fixes this problem.

Please report back when you get your replacement Ooma.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
#85243 by Charles R
Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 pm
thunderbird wrote:Almost always when there is a buzz or hum when using the Ooma Device, it's the phone, not the Ooma device.

If it's the phone it must interact differently with Telo than through the house wiring. I guess I could...

- plug it in at the D-mark and see if it buzzes
- plug the phone into the house wiring when I have Telo connected to it instead of the landline (my guess is it won't buzz)
- plug a different corded phone into the Telo (if I can find one)

I'll be sure to post a follow-up after playing around tomorrow.
#85256 by Charles R
Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am
I received the replacement this morning and it had virtually the same buzz. This time I connected a wireless to the original device as well as the replacement and both of them were completely quiet. Again, I can plug the phone into my landline and there is no buzz which is what created the issue. I haven't yet tried to connect the Telo to my in-house wiring and then see if the phone still buzzes but I'm guessing it won't. I did such yesterday and the cordless phones in the house worked great (the line was perfectly quiet).

I'm not dreaming the buzz as ooma's customer support mentioned it when I called in to close out the new account I had to activate to test the new device. Since I won't be using the corded phone or for that matter any phone plugged directly into the Telo I'll consider it a mystery not worth resolving. :)
#85260 by thunderbird
Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 am
Charles R:
I have one old corded phone that causes a buzz or hum when connected to my Ooma Telo. But I have a few other old corded phones that connect and behave in a normal manor.
I've only heard of an Ooma device causing a buzz or hum any phone, and that was after a lightening stirke power surge. In those cases the buzz or hum is present when connected to any phone.
Good luck. :)
#85263 by Charles R
Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for another corded phone to use while waiting on my porting without success. It's not like I will be placing tons of calls so I'll simply wait until the port is done (working my way through the DSL separation) and then connect to it my house wiring. It worked great before configured as such so why not next time.

A small point of interest is I love the fact you can turn the Telo's display off. One of my pet peeves is devices that light up! That and fan noise... the Telo wins on both accounts.
#86978 by kemac
Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:52 pm
Charles R,

Your not the only one to have a background humm/buzz. I have a two line phone and the noise is always with my Telo line, regular landline is silent. I have tried different phones (Not connected to home wiriring) a replacement Telo etc. I dont recall having the noise when I first changed VIOP carriers, it developed some time later. If you have any luck finding a cure let me know!
#86980 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm
kemac wrote:Charles R,

Your not the only one to have a background humm/buzz. I have a two line phone and the noise is always with my Telo line, regular landline is silent. I have tried different phones (Not connected to home wiriring) a replacement Telo etc. I dont recall having the noise when I first changed VIOP carriers, it developed some time later. If you have any luck finding a cure let me know!

Another way you might try isolating the hum would be to take the Ooma Telo to a friend or relative's home and test it there, using their Internet connection. Use one of their phones for testing.

If the hum follows your Ooma Telo to your friend or relative's home while connected to their internet service, and using a different phone, and you have already replaced the Ooma Telo once, than you know that something is wrong with your Ooma profile.

But if the Hum goes away at you friend or relative's home, then you have to become a detective, and un-power one appliance at a time in you home, until you determine what in your home is generating the hum. It might be as simple as a hum signal being generated in you modem or router, that only the Ooma Telo picks up.
#86981 by kemac
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm
All excellent suggestions and along the lines of the same next steps I was thinking of.

If I disconnect the ethernet cable from my Telo after it boots up the noise persists. I have tried different outlets on different circuits but I have not tried eliminating my home AC all together. I'll have to try running the Telo off of the battery on my UPS to see if that makes a difference.
#86982 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:04 pm
kemac wrote:All excellent suggestions and along the lines of the same next steps I was thinking of.

If I disconnect the ethernet cable from my Telo after it boots up the noise persists. I have tried different outlets on different circuits but I have not tried eliminating my home AC all together. I'll have to try running the Telo off of the battery on my UPS to see if that makes a difference.

Many times it's the UPS that will cause a Hum.

Try plugging the Ooma Telo into a regular wall power outlet and test.

If the Hum remains, remove power from the UPS and test.