Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#22974 by lohertz
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:20 am
thively wrote:.... I get upwards of 12+Mbps upload speeds on powerboost. That eventually drops to 3Mbps sustained upload rates if you deplete the powerboost which is super rare for me. If I turn on QoS, I'd have to set it to 3Mbps or less and I'd never see upload speeds over that setting.

That is the exact problem with using Comcast and QOS. However, Comcast, TWC and Mediacom all use a server side QOS on their end b/c of the VoIP services they provide.
#22976 by ggilman
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 am
thively wrote:I've had QOS disabled on my D-Link router (same model) and have had 0 problems with Ooma.
But I do have Comcast Cable modem with 3Mbps up, 16Mbps down officially (actually much higher) and no one in the house is doing intensive uploads like torrents.
The reason I have it disabled is because I get upwards of 12+Mbps upload speeds on powerboost. That eventually drops to 3Mbps sustained upload rates if you deplete the powerboost which is super rare for me. If I turn on QoS, I'd have to set it to 3Mbps or less and I'd never see upload speeds over that setting.

If I had to do something to guarantee reliable Ooma bandwidth, I'd turn it on.

Put your ooma before the router. The ooma QoS is entirely off if you're not on the phone. So, when you're on the phone, you get the benefit of QoS, making the connection better & when you're off the phone you get maximum throughput without the QoS limitation. That's why I put mine ahead. Personally, I'd prefer it behind my router but I like the no-QoS interference when I'm not on the phone. The phone can suck up 99% of the bandwidth when I'm on the phone for all I care, but don't want it interfering when I'm not on a call.
#22988 by ggilman
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:41 am
thively wrote:The reason I have it disabled is because I get upwards of 12+Mbps upload speeds on powerboost. That eventually drops to 3Mbps sustained upload rates if you deplete the powerboost which is super rare for me.

Powerboost only applies for about the first 7 seconds of a connection. You 'super rarely' download anything that takes more than 7 seconds? It can be good for web browsing since a web page doesn't take that long to download but not much benefit for file downloads. Personally I think it's more of a marketing ploy so they can say they are faster than they actually are, though it is mildly useful.
#65097 by mpatrick14
Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am
I followed these instructions to the letter, but for my Ooma Telo, and here are the latest results when running the VOIP speed test.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 20863048 bps
Upload speed: 2271488 bps
Download quality of service: 35 %
Upload quality of service: 16 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 4 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 17 ms
Average round trip time to server: 21 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 29600000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4187764
Download TCP forced idle: 19 %
Maximum route speed: 30840000bps

My call quality is good sound wise, but I am still getting about .5 to 1 second voice delay. I spend a lot of time on conference calls for work, and the delay results in us talking over each other many times. It also seems to get worse with certain geographies. I live in Las Vegas, and my coworker in Seattle notices a delay even greater than 1 second most of the time.

In contrast, I also have cable VOIP phone service through Cox Cable, with no lag at all. I really want to move to Ooma exclusively, but this voice delay issue is making me rethink that decision.

Does anyone have additional tips for resolving this delay issue? I see a lot of posts on here that say the voice lag is normal and unavoidable, but it would seem if Cox and Vonage could produce better results, then Ooma should be able to too. What am I doing wrong?
#65108 by jhphone
Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 am
Does anyone have additional tips for resolving this delay issue? I see a lot of posts on here that say the voice lag is normal and unavoidable, but it would seem if Cox and Vonage could produce better results, then Ooma should be able to too. What am I doing wrong?

I really would like this delay problem to be fixed. I don't understand why it is always so bad.

I am interested to know if other Ooma users are NOT experiencing it. It is universal? Or only a few users? There are continual complaints on the forum, which indicates a persistent problem for some of us.

An easy to test is to use this echo-back number 909-390-0003
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2814

As the post mentions, there's no sound after the first ring tone. Just say something and you will hear an echo.

I make a repeated click sound, timing it so that there's a back-and-forth beat. The speed gives you a sense of how long the delay is.

Just tested it again and it hasn't improved: like a leisurely ping pong game.
#65123 by n8399
Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm
jhphone wrote:I am interested to know if other Ooma users are NOT experiencing it. It is universal? Or only a few users? There are continual complaints on the forum, which indicates a persistent problem for some of us.

An easy to test is to use this echo-back number 909-390-0003
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2814

As the post mentions, there's no sound after the first ring tone. Just say something and you will hear an echo.

I make a repeated click sound, timing it so that there's a back-and-forth beat. The speed gives you a sense of how long the delay is.

Just tested it again and it hasn't improved: like a leisurely ping pong game.

No Ooma HUB voice delay issues from day 1. RCN cable without phone 10.5 down /.76 up Mbps :D HUB with static IP behind router. No HUB or router QoS tweaks (QoS tweaks degraded Ooma...YMMV).