Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#85124 by richard7
Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Has anyone else been abruptly cut-off mid-conversation by Ooma's busy signal?

When I say "abrupt", I mean abrupt. The connection is completely lost. The party on the other line hears nothing but silence and is unaware the connection has been lost until they call out and hear no response.

During this cut-off my internet connection continues to operate perfectly.

This problem occurs often, and is almost guaranteed to happen during any long conversation.

I am set-up Modem-Telo-Router (router is an Apple Time Machine). I use the "Built In" setting. My upstream is set to 850. My downstream is set to 8156.

Additionally, voice quality breaks up, especially when one party talks over another. It's as though sound can only go one way, so when both parties talk at once, their voices cut out. Is this inherent with Ooma/Voip? I purchased Ooma for the features and because it advertised that connections were crystal clear. So far I am disappointed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attachments
speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg (118.12 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
#85125 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm
Since you've had quality issues since day one and you've tried numerous things folks on this board suggested, perhaps it is time to take your Ooma to a friend's house and see how it behaves with their broadband connection (possibly someone with cable internet or plain DSL). Looking at problems you've faced, I personally would have gone straight to swapping the modem out (if cable internet). I heavily suspect your Uverse device because others have had issues with Uverse (different device than you) and had to do firewall reset (no settings end up getting changed) and resolve their problems.
#85131 by richard7
Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 am
I've reconfigured my system to Modem-Router-Telo. This worked before, but I never tested it assuming the voice quality would be inferior. But since Modem-Telo-Router has not worked for me, I'm giving Modem-Router-Telo another shot.

Would someone please recommend settings for me in this configuration? Do I use the "Built In" setting? How should I set my upstream/downstream settings, etc?

My number one priority is to achieve the best voice quality possible. Internet speed is secondary. I use a 12 mbps ATT U-Verse DSL line.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
#85132 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 am
When Ooma is behind the router, still use the Built in Modem Port MAC address but disable both upstream and downstream QoS by setting them to 0. You'll need to connect a computer to the home port to access the setup page. You can setup port forwarding rules and get to the setup page via the router assigned ip later. viewtopic.php?t=10864#p75608
#85133 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:28 am
lbmofo wrote:Since you've had quality issues since day one and you've tried numerous things folks on this board suggested, perhaps it is time to take your Ooma to a friend's house and see how it behaves with their broadband connection (possibly someone with cable internet or plain DSL). Looking at problems you've faced, I personally would have gone straight to swapping the modem out (if cable internet). I heavily suspect your Uverse device because others have had issues with Uverse (different device than you) and had to do firewall reset (no settings end up getting changed) and resolve their problems.

richard7:
Ibmofo is right.

I looked online and found that the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT Modem has been around for a long time, is really kind of out of date, and has had a lot of problems. Some of them intermittent problems, which means it works fine some times, and some times it doesn't.

If you are renting your Modem from ATT, I'd make them give you a more up to date, later model modem.

Otherwise I’d call ATT and have them walk you through checking/updating firmware and helping you do resets for the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT Modem.

The other thing you could do is to see about purchasing a new modem. If you do, make sure you get the correct modem for you the type of service that you have. You probably don't have just DSL, but some variation of DSL.
#85153 by richard7
Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 am
Thank you, Thunderbird and ibmofo. While I look into modem issues, I want to refine my setup with my Telo behind the router. An Ooma customer service rep suggested that I set my downstream to 0, my upstream to 384, and change my "built-in" setting back to "automatic". I am testing those settings now, making calls, etc. But one question I immediately have is this:

I went to pingtest.net and the site indicated that it could not test my packet loss. The site offers this explanation: "The packet loss test requires that a Java Runtime Environment be installed on your computer. Also your firewall must allow the test to communicate to the Pingtest.net servers (specifically outbound port 5060 for both TCP and UDP though that is being changed to 8080 before the end of the beta - some servers have been changed already). If our test is unable to communicate with Java or the packets are getting blocked by a firewall then the packet loss test will be skipped."

I've never encountered this problem before and wonder if it could be related to the changes I just made to my router to get it out of bridge mode. Should I be concerned about not being able to test packet loss? What changes do you recommend?

Thank you!
#85156 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 am
richard7:
You can check for and download the lastest Java update at http://www.java.com/en/

More informatation about Java at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085&p=84685&hilit=speedtest#p84685

You need to reserve an IP address, in your router, for the computer that you are using for the test to communicate to the Pingtest.net servers.

Then , in you router, Port Forward 5060 and 8080 for both TCP and UDP, for the IP address that you reserved for your computer. Port Forwarding opens the ports that are required.

Here is a location that tell you how to access your modem and check and see if it's functioning properly.

http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answe ... /related/1


If connecting to the router doesn't work, you could try the following:
If you had your Ooma connected directly to the Modem, you could try doing this. But you first have to access Ooma setup Internet page and change connection type to Dynamic (DHCP). Then put your Ooma IP address in the DMZ-Plus. I think I have a procedure for the DMZ-Plus part if you should need it.

http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answe ... a_id/20598
#85176 by richard7
Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:You need to reserve an IP address, in your router, for the computer that you are using for the test to communicate to the Pingtest.net servers.

Then , in you router, Port Forward 5060 and 8080 for both TCP and UDP, for the IP address that you reserved for your computer. Port Forwarding opens the ports that are required.


Thunderbird, thank you for these instructions. I couldn't figure out how to implement them for my router (Apple Time Machine) because I saw no reference to either "TCP" or "UDP" inside my Airport Utility. Question: Is there any point to reserving an IP address in my router OTHER than to communicate with the PingTest.net servers? So far, my Telo is performing well behind my router, so I'm not genuinely concerned that I'm experiencing packet loss. So the only reason I'd reserve an IP address would be for some other reason (e.g., to enhance performance or avoid a problem.) Given that, is there another valid reason for reserving an IP address?
#85183 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 pm
richard7 wrote:Thunderbird, thank you for these instructions. I couldn't figure out how to implement them for my router (Apple Time Machine) because I saw no reference to either "TCP" or "UDP" inside my Airport Utility. Question: Is there any point to reserving an IP address in my router OTHER than to communicate with the PingTest.net servers? So far, my Telo is performing well behind my router, so I'm not genuinely concerned that I'm experiencing packet loss. So the only reason I'd reserve an IP address would be for some other reason (e.g., to enhance performance or avoid a problem.) Given that, is there another valid reason for reserving an IP address?

No there is no valid reason to reserve an IP address in your Router for your computer or to port forward anything for Ping Test.Net servers. You can get the same, and more results from Speedtest Phonepower. It just reads a little different. http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests