Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#6305 by mikegoldnj
Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:35 am
Just got my ooma set up and it's working as advertised.

I still have my full landline connected, and I set up the ooma using the integrated landline option.

If I were to just cut my landline service back to the most basic (about $8/month) and left the ooma set up as is, with integrated land line, would my alarm call out still work over the landline?

I'm assuming if I did this then there is no need to port my number to ooma since anyone calling in to my current landline number will be routed through ooma, and outgoing calls will be routed through ooma as long as I have the ooma dialtone?
#6307 by murphy
Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:47 am
If your alarm is connected properly to the land line, and your alarm companies phone number is a toll free number it will work fine. I'm assuming that $8 basic service does not have regional or long distance dialing service. Since the called party pays for 800 calls, that will work without long distance service.
By connected properly I mean the incoming land line goes directly to the alarm panel and the house feed comes from the alarm panel. This allows the alarm panel to grab the line and cut off the house circuit when it makes a call. The alarm calls will be completely independent of ooma.
#6309 by WayneDsr
Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:07 am
Also, all outgoing calls will be via landline if they are local calls and ooma if they are long distance.
If you remove caller id from your landline no caller id will show on ooma, since ooma will use your landline for incoming calls.

As I understand it anyway..

Wayne
#6312 by mikegoldnj
Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 am
WayneDsr wrote:Also, all outgoing calls will be via landline if they are local calls and ooma if they are long distance.
If you remove caller id from your landline no caller id will show on ooma, since ooma will use your landline for incoming calls.

As I understand it anyway..

Wayne

I understand the caller ID part but are the local calls actually going through the landline if I hear the ooma dialtone when picking up the phone?
#6314 by mikegoldnj
Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm
Ok...here is what I was originally planning on doing.

We currently have two landline numbers. Most of the house jacks are two line jacks.

The alarm and directv receivers all use the main number (line 1), line two was originally for modem and fax.

The Hub is plugged into a line 1 jack, scout is plugged into a two line jack with a cordless base plugged into that.

I would port my line 1 number over to ooma and then have the alarm set to use line 2, which would be on basic $8 montly landline.

I'm assuming under this scenario that caller Id, voicemail, etc and all local and longdistance calls would be running through ooma.