Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84881 by ely105
Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:29 pm
I saw another post with a similar problem but no resolution was ever posted. New Telo unit and new Telo handset. Telo working fine. Handset wants to do SW upgrade but fails every time. I had the handset working for about 20 min and was able to place calls, etc. But now only wants to Upgrade SW and displays a progress bar for a split second at 0% then reports update failed. Tried rebooting Telo, re-registered handset several times. read all posts that I could find pertaining to this problem and unable to find success. I need to resolve this issue or return the handset back to bestbuy. Really a disappointing experience out of the box. I sent oomacare an email this morning at 7AM and at 10:30pm I still haven't received an answer. Always disappointing when a product has such promise (Telo) but the handset tarnishes it. I guess i shoulda expected it after watching some of the feature videos on the website. :)

-m
#84885 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 am
ely105 wrote:I saw another post with a similar problem but no resolution was ever posted. New Telo unit and new Telo handset. Telo working fine. Handset wants to do SW upgrade but fails every time. I had the handset working for about 20 min and was able to place calls, etc. But now only wants to Upgrade SW and displays a progress bar for a split second at 0% then reports update failed. Tried rebooting Telo, re-registered handset several times. read all posts that I could find pertaining to this problem and unable to find success. I need to resolve this issue or return the handset back to bestbuy. Really a disappointing experience out of the box. I sent oomacare an email this morning at 7AM and at 10:30pm I still haven't received an answer. Always disappointing when a product has such promise (Telo) but the handset tarnishes it. I guess i shoulda expected it after watching some of the feature videos on the website. :)

-m

You have already contacted Ooma Customer Service who will probably solve your problem by replacing your Ooma handset. But it probably would be quicker to just exhange it at Best Buy.

On last thing that you could try is taking the battery out of the Ooma handset for about 15 minutes, then repalce the battery and try again.

You might try resetting the Telo handset:

To reset the ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-registor the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Please report back as to what you had to do to solve this problem, so others will know what to do if they find themselves in the situation. Thanks.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
#84898 by johncasey37
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 am
I love OOMA, but....after using OOMA a long time....
The handset is 90% useless.JUST SKIP IT.
i AM A COMPUTER guy....don't bother with handset.
I have replaced batteries, rebooted, etc.
It is dead, completely every time you pick it up. If you want to use it later. Lift it up for a couple seconds and then replace.
It will charge all the way up. But if you leave it there for a day, it goes dead. It will work when charged, but will not stay charged in the cradle.
WISH LIST:
ability to have 2 corded phones plugged into the OOMA telo.

Now, that being my experience, if anyone has a different experience, please let me know. I figure, this is the way it functions.
thanks
#84911 by ely105
Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm
You have already contacted Ooma Customer Service who will probably solve your problem by replacing your Ooma handset. But it probably would be quicker to just exhange it at Best Buy.

On last thing that you could try is taking the battery out of the Ooma handset for about 15 minutes, then repalce the battery and try again.

You might try resetting the Telo handset:

To reset the ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-registor the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Please report back as to what you had to do to solve this problem, so others will know what to do if they find themselves in the situation. Thanks.

After talking to a few support reps, and going through some reset/re-register steps that i more or less did already they finally agreed to replace the handset. I originally ordered through Bestbuy but they didn't have local pickup. So i'm guessing no local stock there and maybe the one I get from ooma is a slightly newer/better unit? Not sure but we'll see. Ooma is backordered on handsets for a couple weeks so i have to wait a little while before it shows up.
#84923 by EA PA
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:41 pm
johncasey37 wrote:Now, that being my experience, if anyone has a different experience, please let me know. I figure, this is the way it functions.
thanks

I bought mine Dec 2010. I have had no failures and no real issues beyond some design complaints. I have been fully charged, have never lost power during use and it works great every time. It gets quite a bit of use. I have found that when I use the handset with another Ooma user with a handset that the clarity is pretty amazing. I keep it on the charger at all times when not in use.

I cannot complain about its functionality at all. Best of all, it was basically free with Premier. I bought mine directly from Ooma and I am happy with it. Good luck.
#85000 by ely105
Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 pm
It does seem like there are quite a few different experiences with the handset from people. Some either hate it, it works poor for them while others seem to find it works ok or even great. Not sure if they have had some HW issues and resolved them over time or what. I like the features of the handsets and although i haven't been able to use them much it looks like a nice handset. Hoping to have better luck next time.

My next challenge is to find a decent headset to use in my house. Bluetooth will work ok if I stay in a room but ultimately i'd like to be able to move around. I recently picked up a VTech IS6100 headset and compatible phone system. I liked the way it connects using DECT instead of bluetooth with the base. But, alas, the voice quality is pretty poor. It's very low and you have to speak really loud for it to pick your voice up well. It seems to have some voice cancelling circuitry that may have something to do with it. But makes it pretty unusable which is too bad because otherwise it's a nice unit.

Anyone have success stories with a whole-house headset? I don't need a keypad or anything, just a headset with good range that would work with OOMA or be able to tie in easily.

Thanks,
Mark