Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84739 by josephmyates
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 pm
I searched through the posts but couldn't find anything specific to my problem:

Bought my Ooma Hub and Scout 2 years ago - just today got around to hooking up my Scout.
Still new (well OK old) in the box...

Hub has been working great these past 2 years - but now want to access the "Instant 2nd Line" capabilities with a phone attached to the Scout

Setup: New phone cable (from Scout Box) from Hub WALL port ===> Scout WALL port
Known good phone cable Scout PHONE port ===> Corded Phone LINE port
(also tried a new Panasonic Cordless Phone LINE port)
After power on - Scout bootup - Blue light on Scout tab
No Ooma dialtone - nothing

Called Ooma support - they had me connect the corded phone LINE directly to the PHONE port of the Hub. Got the Ooma dialtone - so that confirmed the corded phone & cable were working correctly.
Also when unplugging the cable from Hub WALL port - Scout tab turns red - seems to confirm that the Scout WALL port ==> Hub WALL ports are communicating with each other
They also had me do a reset of both Hub then Scout - and still nothing
Later also did a factory reset of both Hub & Scout (Powered on - holding down tab for 30 seconds)
Still no Ooma dialtone
Only thing they could come up with is that the Scout has a defective PHONE port
And since it's out of warranty - they could only suggest buying a new Scout and retry.

Before I do that wanted to see if any one on the forum could suggest any other things to try to get this Scout to work?
Last edited by josephmyates on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#84740 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 pm
BTW, Scouts communicate with the Hub via the "Wall" port.

Check if any of the 4 pins in Scout's "Phone" port are bent or out of place?

What happens if you pick up the phone connected to the Scout and you press the "play" button on the Scout?
#84741 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 pm
lbmofo wrote:BTW, Scouts communicate with the Hub via the "Wall" port.

Also check if any of the 4 pins in Scout's "Phone" port are tarnished. It may be difficult, by try to figure out a way to brighten the 4 Pins so that they make a good contact. While you are at it, see if you can brighten the 4 pins in the Scout and Hub Wall ports also.
lbmofo wrote:What happens if you pick up the phone connected to the Scout and you press the "play" button on the Scout?
#84766 by josephmyates
Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 am
lbmofo wrote:BTW, Scouts communicate with the Hub via the "Wall" port.

What happens if you pick up the phone connected to the Scout and you press the "play" button on the Scout?

Thanks - not sure where I came up with WIRE port ?? (late night :-)) - edited my post to WALL ports...

When I press the "Play" button on the Scout - the saved messages play out of the Scout speaker. Will test later today to see what happens if I pick up the handset of the phone connected to the Scout.
#84779 by josephmyates
Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm
lbmofo wrote:What happens if you pick up the phone connected to the Scout and you press the "play" button on the Scout?

OK so I tested picking up the handset of the phone attached to the PHONE port of the Scout and pressing the Play button.
Save Voicemails are heard through the phone's handset...

So wouldn't this confirm that the Scout's PHONE port is working? - since the sound is being transfer from the Scout to the phone's handset?

What else could be preventing the Ooma dialtone from reaching the Scout attached phone?
#84780 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm
That means phone port is working for that part of operation. Hmmmm....any pins look out of place?

Even without dialtone, can you dial out? Or when someone calls and you see the Line 1 on the Scout blink, can you pick up the call using the phone attached to the Scout?
#84782 by josephmyates
Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:26 pm
Called Customer Support again...

They called my Ooma number to see if the Scout rang (number 1 button flashing red)
It did - and the attached phone to the Scout was also ringing.
However - when I picked up the handset - I could only hear some strange sounds (like fax connection sounds) briefly - then nothing.
Again the customer rep said after checking from their end it seemed like there was a problem with the PHONE port (no activity) - WALL port from Hub activity checked out OK. And again the only thing she could suggest was to buy another Scout.

So before I do any other suggestions to try before I bit the bullet and purchase another Scout?
#84783 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:27 pm
Strange. So can't pickup a call and can't dial out heh?

Well, for the heck of it try some of things found here: viewtopic.php?t=10250#p70825

It might kick it back to life? :)

Worse case, you maybe able to pick up a Scout from eBay for 20 to 30 some dollars.
Not sure if still available but you can get a refurb Scout from Ooma for less than 20: https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/scout
#84785 by josephmyates
Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm
lbmofo wrote:Well, for the heck of it try some of things found here: viewtopic.php?t=10250#p70825

It might kick it back to life? :)

Thanks ibmofo

You're right that a pretty bizarre light show! And the sound - like nuclear meltdown warning!

However - can't seem to get it out of this "test mode" - despite your suggestions of reset/power off/on and then pressing PLAY button - several thousand times! Although there is the light show - great that there is no sound effects

How do I get it to stop this test mode?
#84786 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:17 pm
This is what I wrote down to get it back to normal mode: "Scout may not stop with this light and sound show. Power cycling would just bring back the light show without the sound. Pressing the play button many times until voicemail playback kicks in stops the light show. If your tab is stuck on orange or red, power cycling after the voicemail playback working brings all back to normal."