Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84627 by hubiette
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am
I just got my ooma last night and cant get it working. i have an arris modem thru time warner cable, no router. it hooks directly to the computer via ethernet and usb. i have tired several ways to hook up the ooma - with and without the usb. i tried exactly like the directions say. i have contacted customer support and was told the first time to call back with the ip address. the second time we unplugged everything and hooked the ooma to the modem and then was told to take the ooma back it wasn't working correctly.
here's what i have tried -
the ooma internet port hooked up to the ethernet port of the modem
the ooma home port to the computer via ethernet
the phone port is to the telephone. we are not using a landline so nothing is used in the wall port
at first the rewind, stop, play and forward button flash. then the ooma 'star' flashes red and the 1, 2, garbage can, envelope, forward button light up blue and stay on. in the back the home port light is solid green. the internet port light - one is solid green another is yellow flashing. that's all is does.
i can't even get on the internet. i know the modem is working because it worked fine before i tried ooma and it's working now since i took off the ooma.
i asked the woman what i should do with the usb that is hooked up to the modem - leave it hooked up the the computer like time warner cable has it or hook it up to the ooma. she said the ooma usb is for bluetooth and i don't need it. i've tried hooking ooma up with the usb hooked up from the modem to the computer and without it all together. it's just not working. does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this problem or is the ooma broken like i was told???? :(
#84629 by murphy
Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:04 am
Virtually all ISPs allow only one IP address. You can use the ethernet port OR the USB port but not both.
You must power cycle a cable modem when you change waht is connected to it. Arris sounds like a voice modem. If that is the case it has a battery and cycling power doesn't work. Look on the back of the modem for a reset switch (usually a hole where you insert a toothpick).

Disconnect the Telo and the computer and turn them off.

Power cycle or reset the modem.
Connect the internet port of the Telo to the modem's ethernet port.
Turn on the Telo and wait until all lights are blue. It may take a while if it needs to download new firmware. There will be quite a light show while this is going on.
Connect a phone to the Phone port of the Telo. Do you get a dial tone?
Connect the ethernet port of the computer to the Home port of the Telo.
Turn on the computer and verify you can access the internet.

If you activated the Telo in landline integration mode (I hope not) you must connect your existing landline (Arris modem phone port??) to the wall port of the Telo.
#84637 by hubiette
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 am
murphy - didn't work...
i tried exactly what you said. i turned everything off. i took the battery out of the modem (i tried the reset button on previous tries). i waited a bit then put it back in and went step by step thru what you said. it never stopped flashing like i previously stated. i let it sit for about 40 minutes to see if it would download and it never changed.
any other ideas???
#84639 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 am
hubiette:
Have you activated your account in My Ooma?

When the ooma 'star' continues to flash red, it means that the Ooma device isn't "seeing" the Internet.
Temporaily try connecting your Ooma to one of the router LAN ports.
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma, and Router. Than connect Modem-Router-Ooma. A router LAN port is connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port with a network cable. Make sure you aren't using a phone cable by mistake. It's easy to do. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
#84642 by hubiette
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am
thunderbird -
yep i registered with ooma. i talked to customer service twice today. no help.
we don't have a router. only the modem...
i don't know what else to do. the second woman i talked to said the same thing about it not getting the interent. she said the ooma internet port is not working and to return it.... stinks. we had to order it and wait for it to be shipped. now we have to return it and start all over again. i'm only trying it once more. hopefully the next one will work...
#84644 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:03 pm
hubiette:
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma, and Computer.

Connect Modem-Ooma-Computer. The Modem is connected to the Ooma Internet port, the computer is connected to the Ooma Home port.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Device and let it boot as far as it will go. When that is done, repower the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on Internet. The Internet page opens. To the right of Connection Type, click on the down arrow and selcet Dynamic (DHCP). Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device.

Remove power from the Modem, Ooma, and Computer.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Device and let it boot as far as it will go. When that is done, repower the computer.
Test with a phone connected to the Ooma phone port, or if you have it with the Ooma Telo Handset.
#84645 by hubiette
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm
thunderbird -
i have powered down all items, even removing the battery from the modem. i hooked the ooma into the modem using internet port and ethernet. turned on the modem. then turn on the ooma. it never got past the flashing red. i've hooked up the internet by ethernet from home on ooma to the computer and i can't get on the internet. the computer can't find the internet signal...
#84647 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 pm
hubiette wrote:thunderbird -
i have powered down all items, even removing the battery from the modem. i hooked the ooma into the modem using internet port and ethernet. turned on the modem. then turn on the ooma. it never got past the flashing red. i've hooked up the internet by ethernet from home on ooma to the computer and i can't get on the internet. the computer can't find the internet signal...

Did you restart your computer and type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window, with the Ooma device booted as far as it would go? For this part of the procedue, you're only trying to get to the Ooma Setup pages, not the Internet.