Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84494 by MTD2799
Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 am
I installed and have been using Ooma with no problems. The whole point was to get lower cost and keep my number. I was ready and tried to port, but was told that my number was not available to port. What???? No carrier in my area??? Come on. Hey someone from Ooma, read this and please tell me that you can fix this.
#84586 by Bobby B
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 am
We currently don't support porting in the 229-263 exchange - you can check if a number can be ported using this tool:

http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

We do support number porting in the Albany exchange (229-299). It also looks like we also have one number available there right now.
#84598 by EricJRW
Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:26 pm
Just curious, why can't the number (or any other certain numbers for that matter) be ported? I used the tool before hand, so I knew I was good to go, but what reasons prevent porting?
#84618 by lbmofo
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm
My guess is that Ooma's carrier doesn't have coverage in the Quitman, GA area but does in Albany, GA.

I suppose "coverage" means Ooma's carrier has the ability to conform to traditional PTSN call routing behaviors in the areas they cover.
#85155 by EricJRW
Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 am
With telephony being so digital, it's hard to imagine geographic constraints. I wonder if this indicates an area that still uses an old (non digital) switch?