Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84165 by rooster_dude
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:13 am
I'm new to Ooma. Things seem to be working alright with the my Internet connection going from cable modem to Ooma to router. But the Ooma seems to be a bottleneck. My cable modem is gigabit ethernet. The Ooma WAN port is 100mb ethernet. I tried plugging the Ooma right to the router but it doesn't work when doing so.

I don't want my internet connection going through the Ooma. How can I get it to function on the router?

thanks!
#84167 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am
rooster_dude:
No. You can connect your Ooma device, Modem-Router-Ooma. You could have some Quality of Service problem, but if you post these problems, someone can give suggestions that will correct the QoS problems.
#84173 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:17 am
rooster_dude wrote:Thanks for the response. I tried it once, but the Ooma just flashed red and didn't want to work. But I'll try it again and give it some time.

Make sure that you remove power from everything before you make the new connections.

Then power the modem first. Than after th modem is done booting, power the router. When the route is done booting, power the Ooma device.
#84199 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm
rooster_dude wrote:Tried it again just as recommended. Ooma is still not working. The top 3 lights are flashing (sound, dimmer, handset paging).

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma setup pages opens.
Click on Internet. At Connection Type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). At the bottom of the page click on Update Device.

Remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Telo.

Then power the modem first. Than after the modem is done booting, power the router. When the route is done booting, power the Ooma device.
#84202 by rooster_dude
Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm
thunderbird wrote:
rooster_dude wrote:Tried it again just as recommended. Ooma is still not working. The top 3 lights are flashing (sound, dimmer, handset paging).

Access Ooma Setup by temporarily connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma setup pages opens.
Click on Internet. At Connection Type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). At the bottom of the page click on Update Device.

Remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Telo.

Then power the modem first. Than after the modem is done booting, power the router. When the route is done booting, power the Ooma device.

Read another thread about getting into the Ooma config through the browser. Hadn't seen your reply yet. :) Anyway, I had to set it to DHCP. Working now! Yippee!

Thanks so much!