Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84116 by richard7
Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 pm
I installed Ooma Telo between my modem and Apple Time Machine router and Ooma was up and running. :D

Then abruptly hours later the speed of my internet connection falls from 12 mbps to a miserable 1 mbps! :o

To fix this, I restart the modem and my Ooma Telo and speed returns to normal. :D

A few hours later my internet speed plummets back to 1 mbps. :o

Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions, please?...

My internet provider is ATT U Verse. Normal download speed is 10mbps. Normal upload speed is 1.2mbps.

Thank you!

:!: :!: UPDATE: Pursuant to LC's suggestions in the post by Dizzy-K entitled "Ooma Telo Using massive Bandwidth" below, I set my bandwidth (in Ooma Advanced Setting) to 12000 (12 mbps) in downstream and 1200 (1.2 mbps) in upstream. I will now test the system and report back just as soon as I determine if these settings solve the problem!

richard7
#84117 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am
richard7:
Adjusting your Ooma Telo Quality of Service settings will probably be the answer. But there are a couple of other things that may help also.

One:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

Two:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#84142 by richard7
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm
Update: Adjusting my Ooma Telo Quality of Service settings did NOT resolve the problem. After two blissful hours of smooth Ooma operation, my internet download speed plunged from 10 mbps to 1 mbps, just as before. :cry:

But finding thunderbird's post upon my return here raised my hopes, and I've followed his instructions, switching to "Use Built In" in the Ooma Setup pages and powering the Ooma off so the servers could reload my profile.

I will report back once I've tested the system further.

Thank you, thunderbird, for your kind assistance! :D

richard7
#84178 by richard7
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am
UPDATE: Ooma crashed again, causing my internet speed to plummet. And after I restart my modem, then restart the Telo, I'm lucky if I have more than a few minutes or seconds before I lose my internet connection altogether.

When my modem first restarts, my speed is normal, around 10mbps. When I then plug in the Telo, the internet connection lasts for seconds or minutes, then either plummets in speed or dies altogether.

Since I no longer have reliable internet or phone service, I'm not sure how much longer I can access this board, but I would greatly appreciate more assistance.
#84181 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:47 am
Since you use ATT U Verse, your are prabably using an Integrated Modem/Router - 2Wire rig. If so do the following:

2Wire rig 37xx 38xx (AT&T Integrated Modem/Router)

Integrated Modem/Router – 2Wire Rig General Instructions to reset Firewall Settings, and place Ooma Device in DMZ Plus.

Go to http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html for reference pictures. Your integrated Modem/Router may be slightly different, but all of the integrated Modem/Router 2Wire rigs are similar.

First go to step 13, then to the right hand side of page, and “Reset all Firewall Settings”.
Click on Done in lower right hand corner.
Reboot the Integrated Modem Router and test.

If that doesn’t work, continue below:

You will be putting the Ooma Device (MAC address) in DMZ Plus, instead of putting a computer in DMZ Plus,.

This action moves the Ooma device electronically ahead of the Router and fully exposes the Ooma device to the WAN, and will probably cure your Quality of Service problems.

Go to http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html Step 13, upper right hand corner, click on "Reset all Firewall settings".

#1. Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall: Choose the Ooma device. There will probably be a blank without the name Ooma.
If in question, go down to “Procedure to find out which one is the Ooma device and Ooma IP address” below.

#2. Edit firewall settings for this computer (Ooma):
Select – “Allow all applications” (DMZ Plus Mode).

Click on Done in lower right hand corner.

Procedure to find out which one is the Ooma device and IP address, if needed.

Temporarily remove all of the network cables connected to the Modem/Router LAN ports, leaving only the Ooma device Internet port connected to one of the Router LAN ports using a network cable.

Temporarily connect a computer with a network cable from the Ooma Home port to the wired LAN port of the computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer, if turned on in your computer.

Remove power from the Modem/Router, the Ooma Device, and the computer.
Repower the Modem/Router, when the modem router is done rebooting, repower the Ooma device, when the Ooma is done booting, repower the computer.

1. The only device showing in the router, in step 13 should be the Ooma device. You will probably only see an IP address without a name.
2. To double check, type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

Click on Status. Under Device Status, Network, TO INTERNET port:, it should show Connected and the IP address that you previously saw in your Router, step 13. The IP address that you see here in Status, is the IP address that you place in the Router's DMZ Plus.

When done, reconnect the network cables that were previously disconnected from the router. Note, most people don’t leave anything connected to the Ooma device Home port because of the network printer and file sharing problems that may occur. Reboot the Modem/Router and then the Ooma device.

Since you are using an Apple Time Machine router connected after the Ooma device, you shouldn't have any security concerns.
#84192 by richard7
Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 am
thunderbird, my ATT U Verse provided modem is a Motorola2210-02-1ATT. It doesn't appear to have any router elements; there are just two jacks in back, both ethernet, one labeled "DSL", the other "ETHERNET".

On the front of the modem there are 5 lights.

Does this change the instructions you kindly offered above? Which apply to this modem? All the computers connected through the Apple Time Machine are Macs.

Thank you!
richard7

UPDATE: I telephoned service and they reported that they couldn't duplicate or locate the source of the speed drops and internet disconnects. So they had me disable my QOS settings and asked me to see how that works.

Curiously, my internet speed now only goes as high as 6 mbps, about 4 mbps off its normal speed when working properly. But I will stick with this to see if I still experience the disconnects and 90% speed drops.

I am still VERY interested in your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.
richard7
#84196 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm
richard7:
No don't try to use the previous procedure since you don't have the Inaugurated Modem/router.

Instead try the following:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If this and Ooma Supports advice doesn't work, There is a reset procedure for your modem. The procedure looks easy enough, but I don't know what would happen if your lost your settings. It would be better for you to call ATT support and have them talk you through it. It's located at:

• 2210-02-1ATT: Reset Modem
http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answe ... V5aw%3D%3D

If you decide to do the modem reset, please post if you had to re-enter any number or settings, etc. so that other people using this forum can benefit.
#84210 by richard7
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 pm
The problems persisted so I reset the modem using the manual method (I had already turned off MAC address spoofing). The modem restarted on its own without a problem, but no improvement came from it.

Ooma Telo is now shutting down my internet connection (and phone service) every few minutes. No setting change has made a difference.

I wonder: Why hasn't Ooma bothered to research what settings work for ATT U Verse customers?

Suggestions appreciated!

richard7
#84218 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 pm
richard7 wrote:The problems persisted so I reset the modem using the manual method (I had already turned off MAC address spoofing). The modem restarted on its own without a problem, but no improvement came from it.

Ooma Telo is now shutting down my internet connection (and phone service) every few minutes. No setting change has made a difference.

I wonder: Why hasn't Ooma bothered to research what settings work for ATT U Verse customers?

Suggestions appreciated!

richard7

I wonder if the modem was marginal, and with the extra Ooma load the failure rate escalated?

For testing temporarily try changing to a Modem-Router-Ooma connection and see if there is any change.

Make sure you remove power from the Modem, Router and Ooma device before changing the connections. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done repowering, repower the Ooma Device.

If the Internet speeds still continue to drop, than the problem is with the modem, Internet provider, or Internet connections coming in from the street to the house.

Normally for this type of connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily for accessing Ooma Setup to make adjustments.
#84231 by richard7
Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 am
thunderbird, I changed to a Modem-Router-Ooma connection per your suggestion.

Although I haven't experienced problems since, I have set an appt. with ATT UVerse to double-check my modem and the condition of the line to my residence. But in the interim, because the Telo is working well in the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, I wonder what settings are best for those whose main priority is the quality of their voice line. In other words, I care less about internet speed than the quality of my Ooma service.

Many thanks.

richard7
Last edited by richard7 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.