Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#83469 by slowlearner
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 am
[b]Have same problem and can not find responses to earlier posts. New Telo handset does not have any bars or signal strength and can not register my handset. Troubleshooting info on web site and in written materials does not address this problem.

Ooma Telo Handset Registering
Post a reply

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Ooma Telo Handset Registering

Postby litemagic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 pm
I just bought my Telo handset today so that I can use with my Ooma Telo. However after I found my four digit pin by logging into my.ooma.com/pin, I am having a hard time registering my handset with Ooma Telo. I press and hold down the signal antenna icon on my ooma telo and then it flashes in a blue color but my telo handset is not registering into the unit. On the handset It has the word auto registration but nothing happens. All I see is the signal strength bar on the handset is flashing and there are no signal bars. I have the handset close to ooma telo but nothing works. I tried powering down the handset and turning back on and it still is not registering. I remove the battery on the handset and put it back then powering on the handset, but nothing works with registering with ooma telo. Any suggestions ? Is my ooma telo handset defective ?

litemagic

Re: Ooma Telo Handset Registering

Postby Steve10 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 pm
I'm having exactly the same problem. I already have successfully registered two handsets. The 3rd one I just bought today is stuck on "Auto Registration". I've tried the web reset to de-register the existing handsets and both the originals re-registed successfully. I tried registering them in a different order (ie. the new one as #1, but nada). I've also tried the *#*#191 option and reset the handset with the Left soft key/'0' key trick. Nothing's working. Any other solutions, or should I just return this handset as a "dud"?
#83471 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:46 am
slowlearner:
You might try resetting the Telo handset:

To reset the ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by pressing & holding the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-registor the handset to the Ooma Telo.

If this don't work, call customer service and report problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#83861 by dsinternet
Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm
Make sure your holding down the ((A)) button on the Telo box for a full 3 seconds while your handset displays "Auto Registration" if you don't hold the button down for a full 3 seconds it will never let you get to the next screen where you enter your pin number.
#83863 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 pm
Some thing else:

Try some of the thing that was done in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9992&hilit=sync

Of coarse it is most important that your report your problems by contacting Ooma Customer Service.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
#84587 by parmm
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am
Thunderbird,
Thank you for posting that quick reset. I was not getting anywhere with the normal tele handset registering or with customer service, but your instructions worked great. My replacement Telo and old handset is back up and running.
Thanks again,
Pat
#84589 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 am
parmm wrote:Thunderbird,
Thank you for posting that quick reset. I was not getting anywhere with the normal tele handset registering or with customer service, but your instructions worked great. My replacement Telo and old handset is back up and running.
Thanks again,
Pat

You are welcome
#101491 by blackblaze
Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 pm
Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I recently joined Ooma and bought two brand new handsets.

Neither phone will register with the base. It never gets to the point of searching after putting in the pin, and just asks for the pin again after trying to auto register with the entered pin. Also, it has no bars when trying to auto register, which seem odd, especially when the item is right next to telo trying to register.

1. Battery is fully charged
2. I've followed the steps laid out in multiple threads to no avail.
3. I've tried resetting the phone with the left softkey and 0 key press.
4. I've tried plugging out and back in my telo to ensure it is broadcasting correctly.

I was looking through the menu and see their is an option for software update, but I guess it has to connect to the telo first before it can do that. I have to wonder if old handsets need the latest software to work properly as this seems to be a common problem, based on issues other have reported.
#101494 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm
blackblaze wrote:Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I recently joined Ooma and bought two brand new handsets.

Neither phone will register with the base. It never gets to the point of searching after putting in the pin, and just asks for the pin again after trying to auto register with the entered pin. Also, it has no bars when trying to auto register, which seem odd, especially when the item is right next to telo trying to register.

1. Battery is fully charged
2. I've followed the steps laid out in multiple threads to no avail.
3. I've tried resetting the phone with the left softkey and 0 key press.
4. I've tried plugging out and back in my telo to ensure it is broadcasting correctly.

I was looking through the menu and see their is an option for software update, but I guess it has to connect to the telo first before it can do that. I have to wonder if old handsets need the latest software to work properly as this seems to be a common problem, based on issues other have reported.

Try dialing *#*#301 (switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware) with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port. The Ooma Telo should reboot. (If it doesn't reboot, you have the old Ooma Telo handset firmware already loaded in you Ooma Telo.) Then try to Register the handsets to the Ooma Telo.

If needed:
Procedure to reset the Ooma Telo handset(s).
First, if required, go to My Ooma https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-te ... -functions, to view the Ooma Telo Handset button functions and location picture.
1. Turn off the Handset by pressing and holding the (red colored) End Call button, until the Handset goes off.
2. Press and hold the following two keys until told to release them later in this procedure:
Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
3. Turn on the Handset by pressing the (red colored) End Call button.
4. Release the two keys being held in step 2, Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
5. The Handset goes into auto registration mode.
Note: You will have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING, when pressing the left Soft key + the 0 (zero) key, you must Continue to HOLD DOWN These Keys while turning handset back on.
Then and only then will the handset enter the registration mode, which then allows you to input the four digit code.

Register the Ooma Telo Handset(s):
Find the 4-digit PIN number for your Ooma Telo by logging into:
http://my.ooma.com/pin
Bring the handset next to the Ooma Telo.
Set the Ooma Telo in registration mode by pressing and holding the Paging Key located on the upper right hand face of the Ooma Telo for 3 seconds. The Paging Key will start flashing rapidly.
When prompted on the handset, enter the PIN number found above and press the OK soft key.
When the handset successfully registers, a home screen will be displayed.
#101499 by blackblaze
Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm
I've tried the *#*# and it didn't work. The other steps are the ones that I've already been through. Im wondering if Ooma knew of these QA issues and stop producing these phones, as it seems the negative reviews on Amazon are spot on :( Can fully utlize premier service without the premier products :|