Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#83432 by gk1
Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 pm
I recently bought a Ooma telo, and got it up and working without much problems. the phone that is. This product appears to be a no go with my network setup, but before I take it back to Costco, I thought i would at least post the problems.

My setup is as follows: Comcast cable (20mbs/5mbs) hooked into a Motorola Surfboard 6120, followed by a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router. Everything has worked flawlessly since installation. I have not had 10 minutes of downtime since installation (1yr+), and the network has been surprisingly reliable.

Initially connecting up the Telo in between the modem and router, I could not get the wireless router to work at all. I then tried it downstream of the router, and it worked, but during a phone call, the wireless network disconnected immediately, and remained disconnected until the phone call ended (I am using a Vtech Dect 6.0).

I decided to try it again upstream of the router, and this time, with the right power cycling and turn on timing, I got the phone and wireless working simultaneously, and was then able to make a phone call while the internet remained connected. However, over the next hour, the two computers connected to the wireless network would spontaneously disconnect constantly, and had difficulty reconnecting - I often would have to open the wireless connection and manually hit the "connect" button. This was constant, and clearly related to the Telo - I disconnected the Telo and things cleared right up, instantly.

One observational point. There are several lights on the cable modem. The bottom is an activity light. I noted that when the router is connected directly to the modem, the light is BLUE, indicating "High Speed Gigabit Ethernet connection from SB6120 to your PC". When the Telo is connected to the modem, the light is AMBER, indicating "A device, computer or hub, is connected via the Ethernet (10Base-T) or fast Ethernet (100Base-T) port."

This difference suggests the connection is different. I am not saying it is relevant to my problem, but it makes me wonder. And the fact that there appears to be some throttling of the speed concerns me ...

thanks for any input....
#83433 by murphy
Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 am
The Telo has a 10/100 Mbps interface. That will not throttle your Comcast connection since it's maximum speed is 20 Mbps.
You Comcast connection would have to be greater than 100 Mbps for throttling to occur.

That said, I run a Gigabit network to get fast transfers between multiple computers. I have the Telo behind my router with nothing connected to it's Home port. In that environment QOS in the Telo is disabled (set both numbers to 0) since it has no meaning. You should implement QOS in your router to give the Telo high priority. The easiest way to do this is to base the priority on the MAC address of the Internet port of the Telo. The Internet port MAC is one higher than the Home port MAC which is listed on the Telo's label.

Also EVERY time you change what is connected to a cable modem you MUST turn it off. To prevent you from getting more than one IP address Comcast (and all other ISPs) configure the cable modem to learn the first MAC address that connects and to ignore all subsequent MAC addresses.
#83435 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am
gk1:
If you are going to use the Modem-Ooma-Router connection, you have to go into Ooma Setup and adjust your Quality of Service Upload and Download settings to about 80% of your total Upload and Download bandwidth. By doing so, this saves bandwidth for your home's other LAN devices, which will allow you to use those devices and the Ooma device at the same time. Depending on your home's LAN setup, 80% is a starting point and you may have to adjust these setting slightly upward or downward, to allow the Ooma device and your LAN devices to functions properly at the same time.

Use this step ONLY if your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your compute browser window. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

This setting helps with any type of Ooma Home setup.
While you are in Ooma Setup, click on Internet and go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In MAC address. Click on Update Device. This change will help stabilize you Internet connection.
#83461 by gk1
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm
OK After doing some research, I would like to give this setup a try behind my router. It appears that I need to do some configuration of the OOMA and router in order to get the setup to work correctly, but I am having trouble finding clear instructions on how to do this. Could you provide a bit more detailed instructions?
#83462 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:52 pm
If you are going to put your Ooma behind the router, I'd just do 2 things:

Go into your setup.ooma.com page and then turn off QoS = set to 0 for both upstream and downstream.

on the same setup page, use Built In Modem Port MAC address.

But FYR, a couple of setups with some extra stuff that you may or may not want: viewtopic.php?t=10023#p72442
#83465 by gk1
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm
OK well thanks for the help everyone.

After 1 hour, 7 reboots, and various configuration attempts to simply access the ooma setup page (ooma before router, after router, using setup.ooma.com, using IP numbers, etc etc.), I am done. Back to the store. I am no IT pro but I can pretty easily get into my router and mess with the settings and such, problem solve network issues, etc. But i can't seem to access the OOMA.

I am sure this works great for others, and I can;'t say Io am not disappointed. But man, I was expecting an easy plug in setup, not a 6 hour futile setup hassle.

thanks again.
#83467 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 pm
gk1 wrote:OK well thanks for the help everyone.

After 1 hour, 7 reboots, and various configuration attempts to simply access the ooma setup page (ooma before router, after router, using setup.ooma.com, using IP numbers, etc etc.), I am done. Back to the store. I am no IT pro but I can pretty easily get into my router and mess with the settings and such, problem solve network issues, etc. But i can't seem to access the OOMA.

I am sure this works great for others, and I can;'t say Io am not disappointed. But man, I was expecting an easy plug in setup, not a 6 hour futile setup hassle.

thanks again.

Did you use a net work cable connected from you Ooma device Home port to a wired LAN port in your computer, with your Wi-Fi Temporarily turned off, then doing a reboot of the Ooma device and computer.
Then typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma setup pages opens.
Did you try Firefox when trying to access Ooma Setup? For some people Firefox works much better. Another thing is some people have to temporarily turn off Internet security and virus software.