Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#6104 by shyamsu
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 am
Hi,

I tried installing the ooma behind the router and after the netgear router. But I lose wireless connection whenever we are on ooma phone. Here is my current setup information

Cable Modem --> Ooma --> Netgear Router

Download Speed --> 12Mbps
Upload Speed --> 1Mbps

Qos Settings --> 384 kbps(upload speed)

I keep losing wireless connections on my router whenever I am on ooma phone. And even the wired connections are not good. I keep losing internet connection on the wire computer also. I get the wireless connection back as soon as I hang up the phone.

What should I do to setup ooma correctly. Please help me. I am really getting frustrated with ooma.

Thanks
Shyam
#6108 by southsound
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 am
I would suggest checking your phone as well. I was using a Plantronics wireless headset and found it killed my connectivity. Wireless networks use the 2.4 Ghz frequency sectrum. Seems like my Plantronics is brutal when it comes to taking over the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Even 5.8 Ghz phones sometimes have a 2.4 Ghz component - enther control channel or one direction. The solution in my case was to use a DECT 6.0 phone that is network friendly.
#6109 by murphy
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 am
shyamsu wrote:Cable Modem --> Ooma --> Netgear Router

Download Speed --> 12Mbps
Upload Speed --> 1Mbps

Qos Settings --> 384 kbps(upload speed)

With a 1 Mbps upload speed you should set the ooma QOS to 800 kbps since I doubt that your upload speed is a constant value. The ooma hub needs to know what is available for upload.
#6126 by lohertz
Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 pm
southsound wrote:Wireless networks use the 2.4 Ghz frequency sectrum. Seems like my Plantronics is brutal when it comes to taking over the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. [b]The solution in my case was to use a DECT 6.0 phone that is network friendly.[b]

Agreed take the batteries out of the wireless and disconnect the base altogether and use a different phone preferably a corded one.

DECT 6.0 actually uses a lower frequency

Change QoS to reflect more of what your speeds are (anywhere from 90-80% is appropriate)
#6201 by tommies
Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:07 pm
shyamsu wrote:That did the trick. Thank you very much for your help. I replaced my 2.4GHZ cordless phone with Dect 6.0 phone. Now I am able to access wireless internet connection on my laptop while I am on ooma phone.

I had a 5.8GHz phone and have voice quality problem at the other end, changing to Dect 6.0 phone fix that. My router has wireless N, I guess the wireless overpower the cordless phone.