Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#82904 by ateganda29
Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:15 pm
Hello everyone! I just successfully installed my Ooma Telo device without a hitch. I tried to search for a similar issue before posting but I wasn't able to find anyone that has the same issue as me -- some similar but not quite. As I mentioned, I've successfully installed my Ooma Telo device a few minutes ago. I was able to make outgoing calls just fine and I see the number I picked from Ooma on my caller ID (I picked one of the available phone numbers Ooma suggested). However, when I tried to call that same Ooma number, it rang for a while and finally connected to a dentist's office's voicemail (all the while, my phone is not ringing on my end). Weird! So I don't quite understand if this supposedly 'available' number is not quite available at all. I didn't purchase an Ooma handset, only the Telo. Can someone please shed some light on me? Thanks in advance!

Btw, my connection is Ooma Telo to my Verizon FiOS modem/router and Ooma Telo to phone. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Last edited by ateganda29 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#82906 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 pm
You probably got a bad number from the pool. This happens sometimes. I'd go add a second number and then call into customer service and report the 1st number as bad, they'd remove it from your account. 1-866-452-6662. Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST.

To add a second number, go here: https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and do a "add a new number."

After you assign a second number to your account, go here: https://my.ooma.com/privacy
and change your default number for outgoing calls to the 2nd number, save. This will take a few minutes to stick.
#82907 by ateganda29
Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:51 pm
Darn! I really like the number I got. Heehee. I was hoping that was not the case or that I get to keep it. If I add a second number and choose that to be the default number for going out, once I report it to Ooma tech support and they indeed deem that it's a bad number, will they remove that number from my account? What about my log in information? Will my log in information change since the username is associated with your phone number?
#82909 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 pm
ateganda29 wrote:Darn! I really like the number I got. Heehee. I was hoping that was not the case or that I get to keep it. If I add a second number and choose that to be the default number for going out, once I report it to Ooma tech support and they indeed deem that it's a bad number, will they remove that number from my account? What about my log in information? Will my log in information change since the username is associated with your phone number?

Most likely the number you picked was kind of odd looking and didn't really belong in the group right? It is probably a number someone ported out of Ooma after they had it with Ooma. But customer service can verify this for you. Once verified it is a bad number, they can remove that from your account and your 2ndary number becomes your primary number. If you port your number over to Ooma, the ported number then becomes your primary number. Also you can check out some info on the number in question here: http://tnid.org
After you pick a 2nd number, you can login to my.ooma.com using the 2nd number and the same password.
#82934 by ateganda29
Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am
Thanks so much, lbmofo! You're suggestion worked. I called Ooma Tech Support and sure enough, the number I chose was indeed unavailable. I added a second line and had Ooma delete the unavailable number off my account so the second number became my primary number and my username as well. He also confirmed that when the number porting goes through, the ported number becomes my primary and username as well. I just have to have reset my device when I get home since I did all this without my device with me. Thanks again!