Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#6007 by kingmike
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:24 am
When I have my ooma installed between my Westell 9100 modem/router and my computer I can't see the other computers or devices on my home network from the 'ooma computer'. When I open the routers browser page it shows this computer as being 'offline' even though I am in fact 'online', connected to the internet and the ooma device has a blue light and is working fine.

When I change the ooma configuration, and plug the ooma directly into its own modem port the router recognizes the 'ooma' computer as 'online' and I can access the rest of my network.

I'm sure I'm missing a router setting, but I coudn't find an answer in the forums. Elsewise, my ooma is working great. Main reasons for wanting the ooma inline with my computer is to access 'setup.ooma' and free up an ethernet port on my router.

Windows Vista, Westell A-90 Router 9100EM15-10. Verizon FIOS 20/5. ISP Protocol DHCP.

Thanks.
#6010 by murphy
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:48 am
Once you configure the ooma setup page, you can move the computer back to a router port. Access to the setup page is not required in daily operation.
#6014 by lohertz
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:56 am
Agreed. After you setup ooma, you should really never have to go in there.

If you need more ports, add a switch. They are fairly inexpensive and can be found on ebay or local big box store.