Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#82023 by bdiaz
Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm
New here and have questions. I am new to this kind of thing.

Earlier when I was looking into Ooma porting my number was a big issue. I contacted customer support. They said that they would just give me a temp number until the port was active. When installing tonight customer support told me to select the option to integrate with my existing landline. Now reading the instructions it says I need to plug Ooma into the wall.

I have Qwest DSL (router/modem combo) which is the same as my phone line. The jack is in another room. The phone cord goes out of the office wall under our stairway which is storage and to the phone jack in the next room.

Now that I selected integration, does my Ooma have to be plugged into the wall? If so do I use a splitter or something since it is where I get my DSL? What kind of setup is needed after the port as I will be cancelling phone service and keeping DSL through Qwest? I want to get this setup and be assured that everything is good before I ask for a port.

Thanks for your help.

Edit:
Ok, reading these forums further. Is it possible to take the integration off and just use the assigned number until the port is active? If so, that would be easier for me.
#82027 by Givmeabrek
Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm
Forget landline integration. The new Telo's don't even have that option. If possible forward your quest number to your new temp number. Plug your existing quest phone line into your Telo phone port. Don't use the wall port. Your phones should work now. Be sure your DSL isn't canceled when your phone number ports.
#82030 by lbmofo
Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm
Givmeabrek wrote:Plug your existing quest phone line into your Telo phone port. Don't use the wall port. Your phones should work now. Be sure your DSL isn't canceled when your phone number ports.

I am sure Givmeabrek meant "plug your phone into Telo phone port."
Bad things can happen if you connect the Telo phone port to an active landline walljack/wallplate.
Call into customer service and have them make your Telo run in standalone mode (with its own number) if not already.
#82033 by Givmeabrek
Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Forget my comments. I totally ignored the DSL issue. I promise to get more sleep and not answer questions late at night. Thanks for not beating me up too badly. :cool:
Last edited by Givmeabrek on Tue May 24, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#82034 by lbmofo
Mon May 23, 2011 9:08 pm
bdiaz has live phone line running through the house. Landline voltage and ooma's phone port wouldn't play well together; might make quite a bit of smoke.
#82035 by southsound
Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm
Givmeabrek wrote:I assumed the phone line was disconnected from the modem/router making his house wiring inactive. Now connecting his Telo phone jack to this line will connect has house wiring and phones to the Telo. If that's not the case then of course he has to make sure his house wiring is not live or just plug his phone directly into the Telo.

Reading is a key skill in responding to a poster's questions. The OP clearly stated that they had "Qwest DSL (router/modem combo) which is the same as my phone line." In this case, disconnecting the phone line would disconnect his DSL. I think that lbmofo was more than generous in his effort to correct your obvious error. OK, it's late, I'm cranky, and I wish you well.