Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#82004 by kenepp1
Mon May 23, 2011 4:33 pm
Well I received my AT&T confirmed schedule date for porting today. It is 6/03, a Friday. I had wanted to schedule a dry-loop DSL the day after porting, ordering under my wife's name on-line and get a reduced rate for 12 months with a new account to prevent problems. Unfortunately, AT&T will not schedule a dry-loop on a weekend. That would mean Saturday and Sunday without either a phone or computer.

Here is my question: Has anyone had good success with OOMA/AT&T doing the porting and new dry-loop the same day?

Of course, I will call AT&T tomorrow to see if I can get a Mon-Thurs porting date first.
#82006 by lbmofo
Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 pm
Don't mess with the porting date. Ooma's carrier should be the only ones talking to AT&T about porting date.
I'd just get the dry loop before the port happens since it is a completely new account; request the new DSL be on the 2nd line. Once you have the new DSL, you can even test it by temporarily connecting your house wiring to the 2nd pair at the NIB outside your house.
#82015 by kenepp1
Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm
I asked the OOMA customer service to try and change the date and told me I would have to talk to AT&T myself.

I only have one line coming into the house (blue and white). Both the landline and DSL are on the same line. I don't think I can get the dry-loop (even on a different account) on the same line with the landline and current dsl, until the porting is complete, can I?
#82039 by lbmofo
Mon May 23, 2011 9:42 pm
As for the nogotiated port date (or AT&T's specified port date), best not to mess with it, may screw something else up and put a delay on the port.

Your DSL/phone is coming in through the blue pair connected to a screw terminal in your NIB.

If I am not mistaken, you should have at least 1 more screw terminal in your NIB? I think if you ask your new DSL to be put on line 2, AT&T will put the DSL on the 2nd screw terminal. To get to the new DSL signal, you just need to move the blue wire pair to the 2nd screw terminal.
#82042 by ajw522
Mon May 23, 2011 11:59 pm
I'd double check with them to make sure they even offer Dry Loop DSL in your area. I canceled my phone line with AT&T at one of my Ooma locations, and while at the beginning I was told it was available, only after my phone was canceled did they tell me no Dry Loop was available, and only U-Verse was available. Luckily, the pricing was the same so I switched to the U-Verse service, but it may be something you want to look into.

Good luck with AT&T

Alex
#82054 by kenepp1
Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 am
I do not want to make any wire changes in the NIB. What if I ordered dry-loop under my wife's name to start on the day of porting? Since I only have the one set of wires, do I chance losing my phone number if the dry-loop starts before the porting?

If I do not start dry-loop until the next Monday after the Friday porting, I am assuming my old dsl will stop working on Friday, is that correct?

I called ATT and the rep said they did not control the porting date. OOMA could wait and do it on Monday 6/6. When I called OOMA, the rep finally found out that a middle party handled the porting, but had to coordinate it with ATT. They could not change the porting date, but could put a delay on it. I don't want them to do that, which could cause a real problem. Around and around we go.

It would really help if we had an option on the porting request for a Monday-Thursday porting date.

In the end, I may have to go the weekend with no dsl, which also results in no OOMA phone service or PC. It will be tough, but it may be worth it. This may be required to get the on-line reduced DSL dry-loop rate for a year.
#82060 by kenepp1
Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 am
FINALLY!!!! :D
I decided to call ATT internet service, instead of the phone service. After going through an accented rep and then his supervisor he transferred me to Tom, who knew just what I wanted. He is setting up the dry-loop to start on 6/3 (Friday). He promised it would not impact my porting. Tom has worked this area for 10 years and promised he knew what he was doing. I was also able to upgrade to the Elite (6M) dsl for only $19.99/mo for 12 months due to having my cell account with ATT.

I'll report back if this works as planned. :?:
#82068 by ceceliahmanley
Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am
Is AT&T's response random and arbitrary when asked to create a new dry loop dsl account before the phone # is ported to OOMA? I need help big time - tomorrow is my port date. I figured I'd take a chance and wait till it's ported, then go online and request a new dry loop dsl account. AT&T said I will have to pay $200. Yes, $200 to "get the line back up" once the number is ported. Worst case scenario, I will still save money after five months even if I have to pay the $200 and will be so glad not to have AT&T phone anymore. BUT - why are some people accommodated and others not? Isn't that illegal? I've spoken with 4 or 5 different customer service people. I've been told they can help me w/ what I ask then I'm suddenly confronted w/ a new customer service person who has to hear the story all over and denies my request. I really don't want to go with cable. Clear isn't available at my address yet.

Another issue is I wanted to keep my att email address - so many accounts have it listed. I guess I'm screwed there as well? ANY HELP AT THIS 11TH HOUR APPRECIATED!

Here's an update: Six weeks later, I'm still glad I have ooma and it is working, but porting was a real hassle. The AT&T guy came, said he couldn't give me dry loop dsl because he didn't know how to change the bridge mode of my modem. I gave him access to my laptop and lord knows what he did with the settings then. He installed a new modem at no charge from at&T. What I do know is that neither my $79 linksys router nor my HP wireless printer worked after that. I paid a tech guy to come to the house to fix the whole wireless setup. Bottom line, he recommended I purchase a brand new router and then printer after many frustrating hours trying to reconfigure and otherwise fix the problems. Wish I was more tech savvy. So as someone else here posted, the bridge mode thing is an issue if dropping at&t land line and getting a dry loop dsl. I bought a four handset AT&T (!) phone system and they're all working well w/ ooma on three levels of the house.
Last edited by ceceliahmanley on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
#82071 by tomcat
Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am
ceceliahmanley -

I don't know if this will help so close to your porting date, but see if AT&T will separate your phone/DSL into two separate accounts. One account for your phone and a second account for DSL only. Some have had luck with this approach, but again, don't know if it will help with your porting date being tomorrow.
#82085 by ajw522
Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm
tomcat wrote:ceceliahmanley -

I don't know if this will help so close to your porting date, but see if AT&T will separate your phone/DSL into two separate accounts. One account for your phone and a second account for DSL only. Some have had luck with this approach, but again, don't know if it will help with your porting date being tomorrow.

I was refused this by AT&T. I asked multiple times for them to seperate my DSL and phone service, and they told me that this was NOT possible until I canceled my phone service. I may have spoken with an incompetent agent who didn't have the right information (which seems to happen a lot with AT&T) but I was told on multiple occasions this was not possible.