Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#82492 by monkeyking
Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 pm
nn5i wrote:Let us know how it all comes out. I ran my Telo on a client bridge (a Linksys WTR54GS running DD-WRT) for a considerable time, but I eventually ran a cable because there was interference between my 2.4 GHz wireless LAN and my wireless phones, which use both 5.8 GHz and 2.4 GHz. The interference caused the phones to garble slightly from time to time. One of SouthSound's posts gave me the clue what to look for. If you don't use wireless phones, or they are DECT 6.0 phones (which don't use 2.4 GHz), this ought to work well for you.


Thanks, well the ooma is working great again as all my phones are DECT phones so there are little to no interference. However, the new bridge setup is messing with my Brother Wireless Printer so I have to manually adjust some setting. I was hoping I don't have to drag the printer all the way downstair to set up with the main router but none of the setup step from Brother seemed to work in bridge mode :(
#82493 by thunderbird
Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 am
monkeyking wrote:Thanks, well the ooma is working great again as all my phones are DECT phones so there are little to no interference. However, the new bridge setup is messing with my Brother Wireless Printer so I have to manually adjust some setting. I was hoping I don't have to drag the printer all the way downstair to set up with the main router but none of the setup step from Brother seemed to work in bridge mode :(

I don't know if you checked this but:
Quote from article:
You'll also need to know which 802.11 wireless standards the adapters on your network support. The Cisco Connect software will be unable to connect a laptop (Printer) to the E2000 if the notebook's (Printer's) Wi-Fi adapter only supports B/G, but the router is set to N. The E2000 software doesn't offer much help if the connection fails, other than suggesting to move closer to the router or reboot it.

Some other ideas:
Did you try connecting the Brother Wireless printer using a static IP address?

If the upstairs router is close enough to the Brother printer, have you tried using a network cable from the router to the printer?
#82540 by monkeyking
Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm
thunderbird wrote:
monkeyking wrote:Thanks, well the ooma is working great again as all my phones are DECT phones so there are little to no interference. However, the new bridge setup is messing with my Brother Wireless Printer so I have to manually adjust some setting. I was hoping I don't have to drag the printer all the way downstair to set up with the main router but none of the setup step from Brother seemed to work in bridge mode :(

I don't know if you checked this but:
Quote from article:
You'll also need to know which 802.11 wireless standards the adapters on your network support. The Cisco Connect software will be unable to connect a laptop (Printer) to the E2000 if the notebook's (Printer's) Wi-Fi adapter only supports B/G, but the router is set to N. The E2000 software doesn't offer much help if the connection fails, other than suggesting to move closer to the router or reboot it.

Some other ideas:
Did you try connecting the Brother Wireless printer using a static IP address?

If the upstairs router is close enough to the Brother printer, have you tried using a network cable from the router to the printer?



Well the wireless network is on AUTO mode so it should not affect the connection of the brother (since both of my G laptops connect without any issue). I try using the network cable by using the software instruction as well as the manual instruction but neither seemed to recognize the printer. The printer setting report show 0.0.0.0 for both IP Address and Subnet Mask so something is wrong.
#82557 by thunderbird
Tue May 31, 2011 9:22 pm
monkeyking wrote:Well the wireless network is on AUTO mode so it should not affect the connection of the brother (since both of my G laptops connect without any issue). I try using the network cable by using the software instruction as well as the manual instruction but neither seemed to recognize the printer. The printer setting report show 0.0.0.0 for both IP Address and Subnet Mask so something is wrong.

Since your Ooma device functions connected to the E2000 upstairs router, then the printer should also.

Maybe you should try to set a static IP address in the E2000 for the printer's MAC address.

Another thing:
When using some printers, an IP address will be set in the printer. To change to another router, the old IP address has to be removed from printer before it will "see" an new IP address. Some printers have a factory reset, others you have to go into the menu and remove/restore or add the IP address information from the different/new router.
#82608 by monkeyking
Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 pm
thunderbird wrote:
monkeyking wrote:Well the wireless network is on AUTO mode so it should not affect the connection of the brother (since both of my G laptops connect without any issue). I try using the network cable by using the software instruction as well as the manual instruction but neither seemed to recognize the printer. The printer setting report show 0.0.0.0 for both IP Address and Subnet Mask so something is wrong.

Since your Ooma device functions connected to the E2000 upstairs router, then the printer should also.

Maybe you should try to set a static IP address in the E2000 for the printer's MAC address.

Another thing:
When using some printers, an IP address will be set in the printer. To change to another router, the old IP address has to be removed from printer before it will "see" an new IP address. Some printers have a factory reset, others you have to go into the menu and remove/restore or add the IP address information from the different/new router.


Thanks for the pointer thunderbird, good new is that all is well now. The problem is the driver package from Brother site omit the wireless setup so I end up digging through my stash of boxes and was able to find the brother setup CD. With the CD, it took less than 5 minutes to set everything up giving it had the wireless option setup the driver package from the site does not. So now, ooma is working great as well as the brother. Thanks again for all your help thunderbird.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests