Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#81238 by MrBaz
Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am
I purchased the Ooma telo and a vtech DECT 6.0 handset. I was under the impression any DECT 6.0 technology device should be able to pair with any other DECT base station.

Is it possible to pair my VTech handset to the Ooma without purchasing the whole VTech base station?
#81241 by tomcat
Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am
MrBaz wrote:I purchased the Ooma telo and a vtech DECT 6.0 handset. I was under the impression any DECT 6.0 technology device should be able to pair with any other DECT base station.

Is it possible to pair my VTech handset to the Ooma without purchasing the whole VTech base station?

No, you can only pair the telo handset with the telo base. You would have to have the VTech base for the VTech phone.
#81242 by MrBaz
Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 pm
Disappointing. They SHOULD have designed the telo to pair with any other DECT system (just like EVERY OTHER DECT phone system can pair with ANY other brand handset).
I guess it is off to purchase the base station.
#81249 by MrBaz
Thu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm
That was one of the main points of the DECT technology. It is an industry standard. The old 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz systems were NOT a standard, so getting different brand handsets other than your base station led to problems.

With the DECT technology, you can use a VTech handset with, say, a Panasonic base station.

I've already ordered the base station.

I just wish Ooma would straight up TELL YOU either on the website advertising or on the instructions, that you can only pair a Ooma handset directly with the telo. This would really lessen the amount of questions people have.

Since Ooma can't seem to make a quality handset, they should realise people are deliberately using other base stations in order to use a better quality handset.

Live and learn I guess.
#81256 by ajw522
Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm
lbmofo wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_access_profile

Have you tried pairing your Vtech to Panasonic? I've never tried.

I've never known that to be possible. It would be neat to have an Ooma Forum user try it out and report their results.
#81265 by nn5i
Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 pm
MrBaz wrote:That was one of the main points of the DECT technology. It is an industry standard.

Sort of. Interoperability is indeed an optional part of the DECT standard, and perhaps of the DECT 6.0 standard too, which is a separate thing from DECT. Whether it is a main point is a matter of interpretation; but GAM, the part of the DECT standard that describes interoperability, applies, in any case, only to the very basic functions of initiating and terminating a call. No other features are described, and it is perhaps doubtful, certainly not required or guaranteed, that other features are interoperable between any different-brand assemblages of equipment.

One thing you can depend on, though: no DECT device will interoperate with any DECT 6.0 device. Ever.
#81351 by MrBaz
Fri May 13, 2011 4:52 pm
nn5i wrote:
MrBaz wrote:That was one of the main points of the DECT technology. It is an industry standard.

Sort of. Interoperability is indeed an optional part of the DECT standard, and perhaps of the DECT 6.0 standard too, which is a separate thing from DECT. Whether it is a main point is a matter of interpretation; but GAM, the part of the DECT standard that describes interoperability, applies, in any case, only to the very basic functions of initiating and terminating a call. No other features are described, and it is perhaps doubtful, certainly not required or guaranteed, that other features are interoperable between any different-brand assemblages of equipment.

One thing you can depend on, though: no DECT device will interoperate with any DECT 6.0 device. Ever.

That is completely false. I personally know of an individual who had a Panasonic base station and had the batteries eventually die on one of their handsets. He purchased a VTech handset and paired it to the Panasonic base.
#81353 by nn5i
Fri May 13, 2011 5:06 pm
MrBaz wrote:
nn5i wrote:

That is completely false. I personally know of an individual who had a Panasonic base station and had the batteries eventually die on one of their handsets. He purchased a VTech handset and paired it to the Panasonic base.

And they were both DECT 6.0 devices, not DECT. DECT 6.0 is used in North America, and DECT just about everywhere else.